SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:37:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102875 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 07:31:26 AM »

Same poll shows that the decision is very unpopular (31-47) and well over two thirds of people in trigger law states think that outright bans go too far.

Of course you picked the one question Republicans win on to post.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 12:20:52 PM »

CBS/YouGov poll results are devastating for Republicans. A majority of Americans are now convinced that the Supreme Court is "likely" to limit same-sex marriage and birth control. I looked at the crosstabs and virtually all Democratic-leaning Americans believe this:

Various right-wing SC justices lying with impunity on Roe vs. Wade means that none of their statements have any credibility with Americans, who now assume that they will push a Falangist agenda. This also means that Americans will associate Republicans with Falangism, even if the association isn't particularly fair. The assumption among ~50% of Americans will be that Republicans want to outlaw same-sex marriage, ban or heavily limit birth control etc.

I actually don't think they will.. But this is great for Dems at the polls this November.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »

I got an interesting email at work today. Wells Fargo is on board with helping employees dodge abortion bans.

Really is a shame that so many women will have to rely on these mega corporations for healthcare. And it's not because the corporations are making some kind of moral statement, it's only because providing the healthcare is cheaper than dealing with a child.

Dystopian.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »

I got an interesting email at work today. Wells Fargo is on board with helping employees dodge abortion bans.

Really is a shame that so many women will have to rely on these mega corporations for healthcare. And it's not because the corporations are making some kind of moral statement, it's only because providing the healthcare is cheaper than dealing with a child.

Dystopian.

I've seen people say this several times, but I'm not really sure that it's true.

Several of these companies also offer paid maternity leave, and the higher-ups are at the corporations probably lean socially-liberal, so they are ideologically in favor of abortion access.

Material interests are always going to play a part, but they're not the only factor in decision-making.

You can take the corporate bigwigs at their word if you'd like, I won't.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2022, 12:43:03 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 12:46:12 AM by Horus »

And to think we have posters on this very forum that think the doctor who helped this child is worse than the person who raped her.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I too would like to know what Fuzzy, Mr. R and fhtagn have to say about that case (though at least one is Catholic, these laws have fundamentalist catholicism written all over them.) Do they think the 10 year old girl is now a murderer who should've viewed her incestuous rape as an "opportunity"? Do they want to punish the doctor that helped her?

I'm very curious to hear their thoughts on why ten year old children should be forced to go through incest rape pregnancies and they are silent here.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2022, 12:20:16 PM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.

Yeah, that's disgusting. Even fhtagn says right above says she's okay with an abortion in this case and she's one of the most pro life posters we have. Wtf dude?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Yeah, that's disgusting. Even fhtagn says right above says she's okay with an abortion in this case and she's one of the most pro life posters we have. Wtf dude?

That's why he named himself ExtremeRepublican. I think he always extreme on that particular issue, even though never a Trump hack and more rational on immigration.

He's pro immigration because your average immigrant is going to be more socially conservative, and if they aren't, that's one more person he can try to convert.

Perfect example of why Trumpism is leagues better than his Bush era conservatism.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2022, 12:43:39 PM »

That's why he named himself ExtremeRepublican. I think he always extreme on that particular issue, even though never a Trump hack and more rational on immigration.

He's pro immigration because your average immigrant is going to be more socially conservative, and if they aren't, that's one more person he can try to convert.

Perfect example of why Trumpism is leagues better than his Bush era conservatism.
Sadly because of “mah civility” it comes off as if the vast, vast majority of red avys would rather dial the clock back to Dubya.

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Now, this is hypothetical that will never see the light of day, but it is still bothersome that they'd place the rights of foreigners over the rights of Americans.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Source(s): Dude, trust me

Pretty sure a poll was done last year on this matter that backs me up. Maybe on the individual politics board?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »

The "your ancestors were immigrants" line really isn't a great argument after a generation or two. At one point in history, the French were immigrants in France. Everyone has always moved around the world and the citizenship status of their great great grandparents really shouldn't play a role in how one views immigration in their country now, at this moment. It's a tired, cliched gotcha.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2022, 02:48:19 PM »

Your attempt to frame anti-immigration views as the true socially progressive answer would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Nobody is buying it.
Answer this directly - how do American blacks and gays directly benefit from importing more foreigners?

The gain more from immigration than a nation adopting right wing nativism. Because that ideology never comes alone.

Until white social conservatism starts to merge with less savory parts of middle eastern tradition into a nasty, extremely homophobic entity. See George Galloway for example.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »

Your attempt to frame anti-immigration views as the true socially progressive answer would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Nobody is buying it.
Answer this directly - how do American blacks and gays directly benefit from importing more foreigners?

The gain more from immigration than a nation adopting right wing nativism. Because that ideology never comes alone.

Until white social conservatism starts to merge with less savory parts of middle eastern tradition into a nasty, extremely homophobic entity. See George Galloway for example.

I mean, on many objectives, Bible Belt states have more in common legally and culturally with Semitic and Indo-Iranian Muslim states than European Christian ones.

Most certainly, and in 10 years when the Boomers are gone and 9/11 an even more distant memory, they will begin to collaborate more openly.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 07:40:28 AM »

YOU'RE NOW LOSING THE SENATE AND THE RED WAVE IS GONE.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 03:22:17 PM »

I didn't realize that today is November 9, 2022, and that Democrats had been projected to win the House and the Senate.

If Republicans seriously run on a national abortion ban, it will only get worse for them between now and then.

An Indiana or Louisiana style ban? Of course.

A 15 week ban? I'm less sure. Over 95% of abortions happen before that mark. Since there don't appear to be exceptions for the life of the mother in Graham's bill you're probably right, but let's wait and see if it's a slam dunk.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies