PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:14:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 45
Author Topic: PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it  (Read 68722 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: October 07, 2022, 05:24:38 PM »

In my opinion, Shapiro's floor is a victory margin of 4 points, and his ceiling is anywhere between 9 and 12.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #926 on: October 07, 2022, 05:30:31 PM »

In my opinion, Shapiro's floor is a victory margin of 4 points, and his ceiling is anywhere between 9 and 12.

Given polarization, I'm thinking Shapiro by about 4 seems most likely. It's unfortunate but remember Biden only won PA by a point against Trump in 2020, who isn't Mastriano levels of crazy but getting close.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #927 on: October 07, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »

Given polarization, I'm thinking Shapiro by about 4 seems most likely. It's unfortunate but remember Biden only won PA by a point against Trump in 2020, who isn't Mastriano levels of crazy but getting close.

Trump had an actual campaign infrastructure though. Also Shapiro outran Biden by four points. A high single digit margin is definitely plausible. I'm cautious about it ending up in the low teens, but this is not entirely equivalent to a presidential election.

The Senate election will likely track closer to 2020.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #928 on: October 07, 2022, 05:46:59 PM »

Trump had an actual campaign infrastructure though. Also Shapiro outran Biden by four points. A high single digit margin is definitely plausible. I'm cautious about it ending up in the low teens, but this is not entirely equivalent to a presidential election.

I do wonder if Mastriano is helping Oz in a backhanded sense that Mastriano being so crazy makes Oz look more normal and sane. I also feel like there's a bit of a simillar dynamic in Georgia; prior to 2020 Kemp was seem as pretty far right for Georgia but after he refused to give in to the big lie he's been hailed as some moderate hero and often compared to Walker, who is well... idk.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #929 on: October 07, 2022, 05:48:53 PM »

I do wonder if Mastriano is helping Oz in a backhanded sense that Mastriano being so crazy makes Oz look more normal and sane. I also feel like there's a bit of a simillar dynamic in Georgia; prior to 2020 Kemp was seem as pretty far right for Georgia but after he refused to give in to the big lie he's been hailed as some moderate hero and often compared to Walker, who is well... idk.

Possibly, but then again Mastriano's extremism is also almost certainly a motivator for Democrats to turn out which doesn't help Oz much either. I know that there are evidently Oz/Shapiro voters, but there don't seem to be that many to automatically yield that split result.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #930 on: October 07, 2022, 06:21:51 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2022, 06:33:27 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

At this rate, how many counties does Shapiro win?

I think he has a decent shot at Wolf's 2018 map (all 13 that were won by Biden plus Beaver, Berks, Cumberland and Luzerne). I wonder if even Lancaster is possible...
I doubt he will win by Wolf's 2018 margin. As MT Treasurer inquired, The polling in this race could be very off due to Mastriano being portrayed(and rightfully so) as a neo nazi insurrectionist. Normally, the shy Trump effect is a bunch of bologna. But here, with a candidate that has been accused of being so horrible, I wouldn't want to admit I was voting for him, especially to people who literally know my phone number and can track me! Don't get me wrong, he has a near zero chance of actually winning but it wouldn't shock me if he dramatically overperformed the polling. My guess is Shapiro +4-9
Also, Mastriano is from Lancaster. He's so incompetent idk, but I doubt he loses it
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #931 on: October 07, 2022, 09:22:26 PM »

I think he has a decent shot at Wolf's 2018 map (all 13 that were won by Biden plus Beaver, Berks, Cumberland and Luzerne). I wonder if even Lancaster is possible...

As a semi-proud Lancaster County resident, there's very little chance he carries it. Maybe for reelection in 2026, but it's not there yet, Mastriano signs are everywhere. I do think Democrats should invest though, long term trends are favorable for them and it's the biggest Republican county in the state. Without it, it's really difficult for Republicans to win statewide.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #932 on: October 07, 2022, 09:28:51 PM »

As a semi-proud Lancaster County resident, there's very little chance he carries it. Maybe for reelection in 2026, but it's not there yet, Mastriano signs are everywhere. I do think Democrats should invest though, long term trends are favorable for them and it's the biggest Republican county in the state. Without it, it's really difficult for Republicans to win statewide.

Lancaster County is pretty insane for the GOP and you can see a very very clear political divide line despite both counties being relatively white and of simillar density. I think the issue for Dems in Lancaster County is unlike Chester County, Philly really has very little influence over it. Lancaster itself has been growing though and overtime will probably cut into the GOP margin, but I honestly don't think it'll flip for quite a while and by then we may be looking at completely different coalitons.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #933 on: October 08, 2022, 07:37:06 AM »

As far as I know, only two Democrats have ever won Lancaster County - Lyndon Johnson in 1964 and Bob Casey Sr. in 1990. Lancaster is not as heavily Republican as it used to be, but it is still a reliably Republican stronghold. Mastriano will definitely carry it. But it is a county that could flip Democratic down the road.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #934 on: October 08, 2022, 07:48:54 AM »

As far as I know, only two Democrats have ever won Lancaster County - Lyndon Johnson in 1964 and Bob Casey Sr. in 1990. Lancaster is not as heavily Republican as it used to be, but it is still a reliably Republican stronghold. Mastriano will definitely carry it. But it is a county that could flip Democratic down the road.

James Buchanan actually carried it as well due to being a favorite son, but that’s the only other example I’m aware of. It’s one of the most consistently Republican counties in the country.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #935 on: October 08, 2022, 07:51:46 AM »

James Buchanan actually carried it as well due to being a favorite son, but that’s the only other example I’m aware of. It’s one of the most consistently Republican counties in the country.

I forgot about Buchanan, but then I realize that was before the Civil War. Johnson is the only Democrat since Buchanan to have carried it at the presidential level. There are several other counties in Pennsylvania where Johnson is the only Democrat since the Civil War to have won at the presidential level, and all of those counties voted for Casey in 1990, when he won every county except for Montgomery.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #936 on: October 08, 2022, 11:13:14 AM »

This can go both ways though, the fact that Mastriano has no campaign infrastructure and no money hurts Oz then because he has to do more heavy lifting to get people to turn out. There's also the nature of them both being on the same ticket, which still links Oz to Mastriano.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #937 on: October 09, 2022, 05:44:15 PM »

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #938 on: October 09, 2022, 07:50:40 PM »

HOW TO LOSE AN ELECTION
Written by Doug Mastriano
Foreword by Hillary Clinton

1. Be insane
2. Focus on your insane positions
3. Fundraise exclusively from your small, hyperconservative base
4. Turn on said hyperconservative base
5. ??
6. Whatever the opposite of profit is.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #939 on: October 09, 2022, 07:58:19 PM »

538 has also moved this into Solid D, with Shapiro at a 95% chance in Deluxe and 96% in the normal one.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #940 on: October 10, 2022, 04:31:33 AM »

At this point you have to imagine Shapiro has some sort of coattails for the rest of the Dem ticket, including Fetterman.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #941 on: October 10, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »

Obviously DelRosso is not going to throw Mastriano under the bus, but it is interesting to see how she's gone full MAGA at this point

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #942 on: October 11, 2022, 04:17:47 AM »

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #943 on: October 11, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »

WTF
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #944 on: October 11, 2022, 11:48:36 AM »

Spectator
United States

« Reply #945 on: October 11, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »

I think Berks, Cumberland, and Lucerne are good bets. Beaver I’m not too sure about.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: October 11, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »

I think Berks, Cumberland, and Lucerne are good bets. Beaver I’m not too sure about.

I'd only put money on Berks personally. Cumberland and Luzerne are of course moving in opposite directions but I think Cumberland is still a bit out of reach barring a complete curb-stomp (highly unlikely for an open-seat election in Penna in This Of All Eras) and Luzerne will fall short. Beaver has been on borrowed time for all but very popular old-school incumbent Dems for ages now (Kerry-McCain!) and collapsed downballot in 2020.

Saying that Shapiro could win Lancaster is pure trendz-bro people-are-merely-statistics cope.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #947 on: October 11, 2022, 12:00:02 PM »

I'd only put money on Berks personally. Cumberland and Luzerne are of course moving in opposite directions but I think Cumberland is still a bit out of reach barring a complete curb-stomp (highly unlikely for an open-seat election in Penna in This Of All Eras) and Luzerne will fall short. Beaver has been on borrowed time for all but very popular old-school incumbent Dems for ages now (Kerry-McCain!) and collapsed downballot in 2020.

Saying that Shapiro could win Lancaster is pure trendz-bro people-are-merely-statistics cope.

I don’t think Shapiro has a shot at Lancaster, but could keep it in single digits which would be impressive. If Shapiro wins statewide by double digits, I think he’ll keep Cumberland County blue since I don’t imagine he’ll do anywhere near as good as Wolf in rural areas. I think suburban areas are where we’ll see him match or exceed Wolf 2018.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: October 11, 2022, 12:03:34 PM »

I don’t think Shapiro has a shot at Lancaster, but could keep it in single digits which would be impressive. If Shapiro wins statewide by double digits, I think he’ll keep Cumberland County blue since I don’t imagine he’ll do anywhere near as good as Wolf in rural areas. I think suburban areas are where we’ll see him match or exceed Wolf 2018.

Cumberland will definitely continue the #trendz on the backs of Concerned Mechanicsburg Lacrosse Moms and some goodwill from Wolf, but probably not enough to stick. Luzerne will still be far ahead of its recent Presidential numbers but it would really require a perfect storm of relative turnout to get Shapiro over the line. I'm expecting Shapiro to win by about 5 to 7 points, fwiw.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #949 on: October 11, 2022, 02:26:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to: