How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump?  (Read 597 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:40 AM »
« edited: December 04, 2022, 05:18:37 AM by Torrain »

I think comparisons between the Obama and Biden presidencies will occupy their own niche in the literature. Their differing approaches to Congress, their legislative records (with very different congressional majorities), their judicial appointments - there will be some ink spilled there.

But the thing is, even if we ignore the 2020 election itself, Trump has been the deuteragonist through the Biden presidency. The Democrats won the Senate (transforming Biden's presidency) mere hours before the Capitol was stormed. His inauguration was the first without the prior president in attendence since LBJ's (under very different circumstances). Biden's midterns were defined in part by Trump's looming shadow. And whether Trump is the GOP nominee in 2024 or not, his influence is manifestly impacting the decisions of candidates in both parties.

So while I'm sure some historians and authors will try to fcous on other comparisons and aspects, I don't think you can ever tell the story of 2020-2024 in the US without invoking the Trump-Biden dichotomy.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies