How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:32:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How difficult will it be to look back at Biden without directly comparing him to Trump?  (Read 588 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2022, 02:27:41 AM »

Do you think that historians are going to be able to provide a thorough analysis of Joe Biden and his presidency with directly or indirectly comparing him to his predecessor? I don't think we've really seen a president who defeated an incumbent, who specifically ran as such a direct contrast/antidote to the previous president. Biden himself said "don't compare me to the almighty, compare me the alternative." And one of Biden's biggest promises would be to undo the divisiveness of the Trump era, so are people going to be able to take a proper look at his presidency without comparing him to Trump?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:40 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2022, 05:18:37 AM by Torrain »

I think comparisons between the Obama and Biden presidencies will occupy their own niche in the literature. Their differing approaches to Congress, their legislative records (with very different congressional majorities), their judicial appointments - there will be some ink spilled there.

But the thing is, even if we ignore the 2020 election itself, Trump has been the deuteragonist through the Biden presidency. The Democrats won the Senate (transforming Biden's presidency) mere hours before the Capitol was stormed. His inauguration was the first without the prior president in attendence since LBJ's (under very different circumstances). Biden's midterns were defined in part by Trump's looming shadow. And whether Trump is the GOP nominee in 2024 or not, his influence is manifestly impacting the decisions of candidates in both parties.

So while I'm sure some historians and authors will try to fcous on other comparisons and aspects, I don't think you can ever tell the story of 2020-2024 in the US without invoking the Trump-Biden dichotomy.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »

Biden would need to win reelection and have a very eventful second term to avoid being compared to Trump every time that conversation comes up.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:50:36 PM »

I don't find it difficult to avoid directly comparing them at all... ?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:34:18 PM »

I don't find it difficult to avoid directly comparing them at all... ?

Well.... stop it, then.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »

Biden's presidency will always be defined in contrast to Trump as I think will Obama's. The first black president created a backlash of white resentment personified in Donald Trump, that'll be the narrative anyway.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »

I think comparisons between the Obama and Biden presidencies will occupy their own niche in the literature. Their differing approaches to Congress, their legislative records (with very different congressional majorities), their judicial appointments - there will be some ink spilled there.

This is right. Obama vs Biden will be the JFK vs LBJ comparison game of yesteryear. (Not really commenting on who's right, even, given that Brandon has 2-6 years left) Biden was Obama's VP and was older, gruffer, never intended to run in his own right, and the consummate insider power player to pair with the fresh-faced young Senator.

Who knows how the comparison turns out, though I suspect it turns out way kinder to Biden if he's reelected. Losing reelection is always a serious failure marking on a President no matter how accomplished his term was otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies