Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:15:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state?  (Read 1529 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: September 26, 2019, 12:36:37 AM »
« edited: September 26, 2019, 08:25:42 AM by R.P. McM »

Nevada will probably fall out of easy reach for Republicans after 2020 (it's still one of Trump's first possible flips). People sometimes say Idaho, but by the time that happens the trends will have reversed and party coalitions will have changed. Another fracking boom could do this fast in the Dakotas. Any migration to Wyoming will have an impact because there's only half a million people there.

If the Bakken were closer to Fargo, I could see this as a possibility many, many years down the line. Not because extraction workers are left-leaning (quite the opposite), but as a second-order consequence of ND's dominant metro becoming denser and more populous. However, the Bakken sits at the opposite end of the state, so the primary effect of a second boom would be to boost the populations of towns like Williston and Dickinson into the ~30K range. Which I can't imagine being much of a boon to the D-NPL.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:21:37 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2019, 08:33:44 AM by R.P. McM »

Nevada will probably fall out of easy reach for Republicans after 2020 (it's still one of Trump's first possible flips). People sometimes say Idaho, but by the time that happens the trends will have reversed and party coalitions will have changed. Another fracking boom could do this fast in the Dakotas. Any migration to Wyoming will have an impact because there's only half a million people there.

If the Bakken were closer to Fargo, I could see this as a possibility many, many years down the line. Not because extraction workers are left-leaning (quite the opposite), but as a second-order consequence of ND's dominant metro becoming denser and more populous. However, the Bakken sits at the opposite end of the state, so the primary effect of a second boom would be to boost the populations of towns like Williston and Dickinson into the ~30K range. Which, I can't imagine being much of a boon to the D-NPL.

That's what I'm saying, it would be the suburban growth that would come with oil that could fuel a Democratic shift (pun intended).

And I'm pointing out that there are no significant urban concentrations of any size in western ND, so the pattern of growth would be low-density and not particularly favorable to the left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies