Which region of North America is more Conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:31:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which region of North America is more Conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: More conservative part of NA?
Western Canada

Southern USA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Which region of North America is more Conservative?  (Read 606 times)
hangfan91
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2022, 11:33:36 AM »

The Southern USA or Western Canada (mainly Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba)?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:03:17 PM »

Southern US and not even close - particularly as British Columbia is the largest province in Western Canada and is very "liberal" in the American sense.  But I guess you're thinking more about the Prairies/Great Plains.  A more interesting question to me is how conservative Alberta and Saskatchewan - Canada's two "red states" - are by North American standards.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:21:13 PM »

Southern US and not even close - particularly as British Columbia is the largest province in Western Canada and is very "liberal" in the American sense.  But I guess you're thinking more about the Prairies/Great Plains.  A more interesting question to me is how conservative Alberta and Saskatchewan - Canada's two "red states" - are by North American standards.

How lefty is Manitoba, compared to Alberta and Saskatchewan?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »

Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only provinces where the Conservative and right-wing vote is over 50% in federal elections.  In Manitoba it's usually in the mid-40s and is the most "balanced" province between progressive and conservative forces in federal elections.  60% of the population of Manitoba lives in Winnipeg, the most progressive city in the Prairies that mostly votes Liberal/NDP.  It has some very conservative rurals though.
SInNYC

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 01:16:14 PM »

It also depends on your definition of "more".

If you mean how conservative the majority of conservatives are, I think the answer is clearly the US south. I dont really see that many in the prairies denying basic science and history.

But if you mean where the majority of people are conservative (by whichever threshold you set), Canada's prairies might be more conservative.  A southern state might have lots of blacks who are not as far on the right - its just the whites who are super conservative.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »

Conservative/PPC vote, 2021:

Saskatchewan  65.6%
Alberta  62.7%
Manitoba  46.8%
BC  38.1%
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 03:09:09 PM »

Great Plains.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 05:53:27 PM »

Regional grievances are a much bigger factor in Canadian politics than in the US.  There's about a 10 point difference between the federal and provincial conservative/right-wing vote in Alberta, as the Conservatives sort of function as a big tent "party of Alberta."

David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 02:30:49 AM »

Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only provinces where the Conservative and right-wing vote is over 50% in federal elections.  In Manitoba it's usually in the mid-40s and is the most "balanced" province between progressive and conservative forces in federal elections.  60% of the population of Manitoba lives in Winnipeg, the most progressive city in the Prairies that mostly votes Liberal/NDP.  It has some very conservative rurals though.
Two thirds of the population of AB live in Calgary and Edmonton.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 02:33:44 AM »

It also depends on your definition of "more".

If you mean how conservative the majority of conservatives are, I think the answer is clearly the US south. I dont really see that many in the prairies denying basic science and history.

But if you mean where the majority of people are conservative (by whichever threshold you set), Canada's prairies might be more conservative.  A southern state might have lots of blacks who are not as far on the right - its just the whites who are super conservative.

Southern blacks are actually quite conservative on issues like Abortion, LGBT, etc. They vote D mostly because of racial polarization, and prefer moderate than progressive D candidates.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 04:34:06 AM »

True.  But Calgary is the most conservative major city in Canada.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 01:04:41 PM »

I am curious if Calgary is the most conservative metro with over 1 million population in North America, and if so, why.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »

I am curious if Calgary is the most conservative metro with over 1 million population in North America, and if so, why.

Almost surely no, because Oklahoma City and Tulsa are both over 1M population at the MSA level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies