MT - AL (May 25) Predictions Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:42:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT - AL (May 25) Predictions Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MT - AL (May 25) Predictions Thread  (Read 12649 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« on: April 19, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »

Why is everyone predicting the Democrat to win here? Trump won the state by a huge margin and I don't see Quist with a strong match with the state's profile. Is there polling I'm unaware of?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »

Most people have said that the race could go either way, and they are right. I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with the presidential vote when it is basically irrelevant. This has been discussed before, but unlike in GA-06, Clinton was an awful fit for the state and that result was hardly the norm. Percentage-wise, Trump didn't even do much better than Romney here (remember: that was the year when Tester won fairly easily as well), and he did worse than Bush II either time (again: 2000 and 2004 also being years where Democrats did very well down-ballot).

The statewide Democratic Party is very strong for several reasons and shouldn't be underestimated. Besides, if Democrats are so motivated that Ossoff can get to 48% in an inelastic Southern suburban district, there is little reason to believe that they will stay home in Montana.

My curiosity was because both Romney and Trump won the state convincingly, Daines won the state in 2014, and on the federal level, Tester is the only statewide Democrat who is also a federal officer. The State Democratic Party may be doing well (they hold the governorship) but as I understand, the legislature is convincingly Republican.

The coalition in Kansas 04 and Georgia 06 had unique circumstances that enabled the Democrat to get close. In KS-04, Brownback's unpopularity was a major factor (as well as moderate Republicans voting Democratic) and in GA - 06, there was a natural suburban constituency for Ossoff, because of Clinton's close margins here.

My question here, in Montana, what exactly does Quist have to draw on in terms of a coalition on the federal level? Polarization is especially heavy for federal offices.

I'd predict Gianforte 52-47% at this point based on the data from Montana. That's the federal margin minus a couple of points to account for Democratic enthusiasm (Daines won 57%, Trump and Romney won 55%, Zinke won 55-56%).
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

@ MT Treasurer, I'll respond later. You make a couple of good points.

I just discovered that Gianforte has a problem with Social Security.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, that could change things, I suppose. How bad of a candidate is he? I was assuming the Montana Republican Party had done its due diligence on Gianforte.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

Maintaining the +5 Gianaforte but upping Wick a bit.

Gianaforte: 50%
Quist: 45%
Wicker: 5%
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »

Sticking with Pianoforte by 5 because I want to be consistent. But my head and gut is all over the place.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »

Maintaining the +5 Gianaforte but upping Wick a bit.

Gianaforte: 50%
Quist: 45%
Wicker: 5%

This turned out not too bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies