The Direction of the Democratic Party if Obama loses... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:01:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Direction of the Democratic Party if Obama loses... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Direction of the Democratic Party if Obama loses...  (Read 10371 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 05, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

Democratic Party...

Direction?

I am not understanding the words that are coming out of your mouth.

The Democrats haven't had a direction since their New Deal Coalition collapsed.

If the Democrats can get universal health insurance enacted when/if Obama is elected, that will be their new direction and the program could have huge coattails.

If that doesn't happen, the Democrats will languish, directionless, for at least another 4-8 years.

I think they have had direction, but not one that gnerally wins elections.

The victory of Obama in the primary was a victory for both the party left and for black Democrats (with overlap to an extent).  This has been the main voting block of support.  An Obama defeat, will mark this wing as being unelectable.  To win nationally, the Democratic Party will have to drift to the Center, and try to expand its base away from black voters.

Basically, McCain victory = GOP moves to the center.  Obama defeat = Democrats move to the center.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

Basically, McCain victory = GOP moves to the cente. 

I once thought that but now that John McCain has capitulated to the radical right and socially conservative base of his party and selected Saintly Sarah, like a wuss who didn't have the balls to go with say Joe Lieberman or Tom Ridge, thereby effectively giving his party a veto, I don't now

Republican moderates are dying breed Sad

Still, if McCain wins; hopefully, the Democratic Congress will be a check on any radically regressive excesses on his part

Dave

Don't think liberal, think libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies