Is being connected to violent religious extremists a liability for a Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:50:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is being connected to violent religious extremists a liability for a Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is being connected to violent religious extremists a liability for a Democrat?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Is being connected to violent religious extremists a liability for a Democrat?  (Read 914 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »

Such as for example if a Democratic candidate paid a friendly visit to someone who once controlled a territory backed by violent religious extremists who engaged in pogroms against religious minorities. Do you think that would help or hurt said candidate?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:36:48 PM »

umm, I guess it depends on what the "connection" is.  If you are merely trying to gain perspective from the other side without emboldening an extremist position then that's fine and probably beneficial to democrats who actually think before they vote.  If you are promoting the actions of war mongers, dictators, murderers, then obviously that is a negative. 

-Hillary's staff acted horrified on Twitter when Trump said something derogatory about some worthless Saudi Prince, while condemning his very right and proper praise of Putin, one of the most moral leaders of any major power recently.
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »

umm, I guess it depends on what the "connection" is.  If you are merely trying to gain perspective from the other side without emboldening an extremist position then that's fine and probably beneficial to democrats who actually think before they vote.  If you are promoting the actions of war mongers, dictators, murderers, then obviously that is a negative. 

-Hillary's staff acted horrified on Twitter when Trump said something derogatory about some worthless Saudi Prince, while condemning his very right and proper praise of Putin, one of the most moral leaders of any major power recently.

OK I didn't realize you were a schtick until now.

-Are you denying this? Name a more moral leader of a major power in the past few years. Preferably one who has done more to fight Islamic terrorism, restore his country's standing in the world, defend the rights of foreign whistleblowers, and provide a counter to folly.
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:01:17 AM »

-Are you denying this? Name a more moral leader of a major power in the past few years. Preferably one who has done more to fight Islamic terrorism, restore his country's standing in the world, defend the rights of foreign whistleblowers, and provide a counter to folly.

I am not convinced that Putin has actually fought ISIS all that much... and that's even as they probably were responsible for that Russian airliner going down.  I also find Russia's human rights policies re: ethnic minorities, gays... to be disdainful. 

re: his country's standing in the world... I don't think of that as a moral issue... everyone wants to advance their own self interests. 

re: foreign whistleblowers... he really only did that because an enemy of his enemy is his friend... it's not like he actually did it out of moral conviction.

-The Syrian Army is a very weak army, so even a YUGE number of Russian airstrikes can't help it win. Currently, it's fighting ISIS on three fronts, assisted on every one by Russian airstrikes. And, yes, Russia has bombed ISIS about as much as the U.S., if not more.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »

For the record, I'm referring to the fact that Tulsi Gabbard supports this charming bunch:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:05:57 AM »

I am not convinced that Putin has actually fought ISIS all that much... and that's even as they probably were responsible for that Russian airliner going down.  I also find Russia's human rights policies re: ethnic minorities, gays... to be disdainful. 

re: his country's standing in the world... I don't think of that as a moral issue... everyone wants to advance their own self interests. 

re: foreign whistleblowers... he really only did that because an enemy of his enemy is his friend... it's not like he actually did it out of moral conviction.

-The Syrian Army is a very weak army, so even a YUGE number of Russian airstrikes can't help it win. Currently, it's fighting ISIS on three fronts, assisted on every one by Russian airstrikes. And, yes, Russia has bombed ISIS about as much as the U.S., if not more.

well even if all that is true, it doesn't make me think all that more highly of him on a personal level as I have a libertarian non-interventionist belief system with regard to foreign policy.  Though I suppose Russia has some justification for such strikes as ISIS attacked that Russian flight.  I just don't see how attacking random militants in Syria is necessary for a country like Russia to protect itself.  Those people are not traveling to Russia any time soon.

-Sure they are. You think Chechens aren't training with ISIS?
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »

Probably, but Keith Ellison is still gonna be DNC chair.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:47:52 AM »

Watching Eharding and Non Swing Vote duke it out is something I've been wanting to see for a long time.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2017, 08:11:09 AM by Special Boy »

Watching Eharding and Non Swing Vote duke it out is something I've been wanting to see for a long time.
This was supposed to be about alt-left politicians but ended up defending the record of an alt-right politician and his paid stooge not understanding the difference between a self-interested leader ans a moral one. The thing about the alt-Right is that they just think that if you are white or white-ish and kill a bunch of people, no matter who they are or why, you are doing the Lord's work.

And about Democrats being supported by violent religious extremists...worked for Republicans.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »

So most Democrats would support the Bharatiya Janata Party if they were involved in Indian politics?
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 05:47:33 PM »

So most Democrats would support the Bharatiya Janata Party if they were involved in Indian politics?

-Nope. But, again, Keith Ellison's former Nation of Islam support is no liability for his DNC chair bid.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »

No, but there's a fairly significant cross-section of people who support the BJP and Democrats among Indian-Americans, and Modi remains very popular among the diaspora in the US, which is simultaneously one of the most Democratic groups in this country.

It's also fair to remember that Democrats have supported plenty of terrible regimes in the past without batting an eye as long as they were US allies. I'm not saying that's it the right thing to do, but no Democratic is going to launch an attack on the governing party of a country which we've been wanting to make our ally for much of the recent past.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »

It's great to see another admirer of Mr. Putin here. Smiley
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »

Any uber religious person running for office nowadays would be a liability.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »

If Republicans believe everything they say, a Democrat became and was reelected President with this already.
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »

If Republicans believe everything they say, a Democrat became and was reelected President with this already.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:06:04 AM »

-Nope. But, again, Keith Ellison's former Nation of Islam support is no liability for his DNC chair bid.

Let's see, you said the key word in the post: FORMER support. Therefore not comparable to Tulsi Gabbard's current Hindutva support.

Also DNC chair is not a remotely comparable office to President and pretending that it is like some do is almost funny.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies