Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:33:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 173536 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 14, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »

Yeah this is starting to feel like the second crack at the House vote; and I can't help but think that it's going to pass now.

I'm looking forward to Heller becoming an ambassador in 2018 in exchange for this
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #351 on: July 14, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »

Yeah this is starting to feel like the second crack at the House vote; and I can't help but think that it's going to pass now.

I'm looking forward to Heller becoming an ambassador in 2018 in exchange for this

This is all pure cruelty and evil, dumping so many people out of health insurance to benefit corporations; the Republican party is nothing else.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »

This is all pure cruelty and evil, dumping so many people out of health insurance to benefit corporations; the Republican party is nothing else.

With the exception of Paul, both the House and Senate has shown that conservatives can basically play hardball, and will get what they want. Complete opposite happened when the Democrats did Obamacare.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

This is painfully predictable - DeVos, Part II.  Of course all the other Republicans will vote in favor of it, and it will pass.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »

Do you think there was actually any doubt?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »

If the CBO is bad, Heller and Capito will jump off and kill the bill. If its alot better than the last one, it'll probably pass.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »

If the CBO is bad, Heller and Capito will jump off and kill the bill. If its alot better than the last one, it'll probably pass.

What do you think the reference is?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #357 on: July 14, 2017, 05:02:45 PM »

They aren't waiting on the CBO, they are all waiting on Heller.

No one wants to vote for this bill, but no one wants to kill it.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »

They're not scoring it with the CBO

They're using the HHS to cook the books

They still need the CBO to vote on the bill, right?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #359 on: July 14, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »

At this rate, the Democrats will just make the Senate into a 100 more House seats. It would be political malpractice otherwise...at least they should run on Medicaid and Medicare expansion.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/13/senate-republicans-health-care-bill-cruz-lee-240498

This says a CBO score is coming out monday without the Cruze Amendment.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They are going to have to drastically change the bill or give NV some sort of exemption.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »

There is a CBO score coming Monday, and the changes in the senate bill arent enough to actually move the uninsured number. Im betting Capito and Heller jump ship Monday after the score comes out, regardless of the HHS score on the Cruze amendment. Murkowski has also said she cant be paid off, but it wont be the first time she'd come off as a huge liar.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »

Dean Heller has realized that he's in a position where he's going to lose his seat no matter which way he votes on the bill (whether in a GOP primary or in the general), which does free him up to cross over. He's in Blanche Lincoln/Ben Nelson territory now.

We'll see how Monday goes. The Senate bill was all set to pass three weeks ago when all hell broke loose over its scoring.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »

Dean Heller has realized that he's in a position where he's going to lose his seat no matter which way he votes on the bill (whether in a GOP primary or in the general), which does free him up to cross over. He's in Blanche Lincoln/Ben Nelson territory now.

We'll see how Monday goes. The Senate bill was all set to pass three weeks ago when all hell broke loose over its scoring.

You really think there going to primary him? Thats a sure fire way to lose the seat.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #365 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »

You forgot the follow up.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #366 on: July 14, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »

You forgot the follow up.

I honestly just feel like their gonna cave. The GOP is basically Enron at this point when it comes to ethics and morals

Senate moderate Republicans are cowards, but the resistance from Sandoval is problematic IMO. He is one of the few GOP governors to make the expansion work in his state, and NV ( with KY) is one of the model states when it comes to the ACA. He is also the most popular pol by far in the state.

I just don't see how Heller can vote for this thing as long as Sandoval is against it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »

Sandoval's also not running for reelection, so the GOP doesn't exactly have a lot to bribe/threaten him with.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »

Odds of passage feels closer to 25% now, which is too high for comfort but could be worse.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #369 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »

Odds of passage feels closer to 25% now, which is too high for comfort but could be worse.

I'd go considerably higher than that. This thing has a good shot at passing, though it's still far from a done deal. Monday will basically decide its fate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #370 on: July 14, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »

I'd go with that. What was it before?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »

The other thing to remember, a decade ago, we didn't have the Great Crash. That really put a crimp on people's spending and I think Medicaid rolls and so on have risen as a consequence. The safety net has become more valuable, not less valuable, over time, which is a huge reason the Medicaid expansion is a political sticking point.

I think that's the underlying subtext to why this is so hard. The Great Crash has made neoliberal healthcare planning a very dicey idea.

Compare and contrast to welfare reform in the booming 1990s.

I think the era of Neoliberal Healthcare Delivery is over or we are just heading to a new age of mass poverty that makes the political economy  that much less stable.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #372 on: July 14, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »

Basically read this:

https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Trends-in-Medicaid-Spending.pdf

Now tell me again, that Heller is voting yes. 200,000 Nevadans didn't get on Medicaid by choice. A lot of the expansion is to mop up those who were hurt the Great Recession.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #373 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »

The other thing to remember, a decade ago, we didn't have the Great Crash. That really put a crimp on people's spending and I think Medicaid rolls and so on have risen as a consequence. The safety net has become more valuable, not less valuable, over time, which is a huge reason the Medicaid expansion is a political sticking point.

I think that's the underlying subtext to why this is so hard. The Great Crash has made neoliberal healthcare planning a very dicey idea.

Compare and contrast to welfare reform in the booming 1990s.

I think the era of Neoliberal Healthcare Delivery is over or we are just heading to a new age of mass poverty that makes the political economy  that much less stable.

We're not heading to a new age of mass poverty. The current series of upheavals politically is bad enough; we'll have a new consensus forged over the next decade. Nobody wants to live through a brand new Democratic or Republican version of Trump elected every 4 to 8 years, where mass incompetence reigns with political parties facing angry mobs every 2 years.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #374 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »

Basically read this:

https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Trends-in-Medicaid-Spending.pdf

Now tell me again, that Heller is voting yes. 200,000 Nevadans didn't get on Medicaid by choice. A lot of the expansion is to mop up those who were hurt the Great Recession.

My concern, voiced above, is that Heller might have concluded already that he's doomed no matter which way he goes, which removes a lot of the pressure from him.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies