Opinion of Japan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Japan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Country

Horrible Country

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of Japan  (Read 2372 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 04, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »

Freedom Country with a ton of problems.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »

probably peaking in the late 1940s

What the Christ
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »

'The most normal and straightforward interpretation of Japanese history' most certainly does not analyze the Meiji Restoration-to-Pacific War period and the Occupation-to-Lost Decade period as one continuous era, far less parts of the same 'golden age'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2015, 03:28:24 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

'The most normal and straightforward interpretation of Japanese history' most certainly does not analyze the Meiji Restoration-to-Pacific War period and the Occupation-to-Lost Decade period as one continuous era, far less parts of the same 'golden age'.

I don't blame historians for dividing up such a long and interesting period into parts; especially since when these two periods were delineated, the golden age was still going on and seemed 'normal.'

I...I can't respond to this. You've made a profoundly odd historiographical assertion conflating two vastly different periods of history that have next to nothing in common except the epoch between them and the 'strength' of the country in question (it wasn't even strong in the same way), defended this assertion by claiming that it's 'normal and straightforward', and then responded to the point that reputable historians do not understand things this way by claiming that they just aren't/weren't privy to the same insights as you.

Also, Sol, you underestimate my ability to go on for hours about which anime series suck and which ones are good. I have very strong opinions on this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2015, 04:58:05 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Pokémon: Serviceable. It delivers what it promises. It's interesting as a cultural phenomenon but not in itself particularly fertile ground for analysis.
Cowboy Bebop: Very good indeed but not quite as good as its inflated reputation in the West would suggest. Far and away the best anime of the period throughout which it aired* but not the best anime of the late nineties (that's Shōjo Kakumei Utena).

*I'm counting the continuous period between October 1998 and April 1999, not the few months earlier in 1998 in which it started to air and was then temporarily cancelled. Serial Experiments Lain ended in September 1998, and that's the only credible challenger for Cowboy Bebop in any definition of its airing period.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies