Should voting be mandatory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should voting be mandatory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Should voting be mandatory?  (Read 12492 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.

Come on Barnes!
It is kind of hypocritical to force people to show up to vote in supposedly "free" and "democratic" elections.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.

Come on Barnes!
It is kind of hypocritical to force people to show up to vote in supposedly "free" and "democratic" elections.

Well like I said, you don't have to vote. But being a lazy-ass and complaining about the system and then complaining about the people elected, even when you didn't care enough to vote, is kind of hypocritical.

Uh, how is it hypocritical if you don't like any of the choices being offerred?

"Dissolve the government" is not an option found on the ballot. Wink

It's not hypocritical. That's why there should be some sort of "invalid" option. Then, people can at least see the number of people disgusted with the system. As it presently stands, you either vote or you stay at home. There is no real expression of dissatisfaction like you have, Libertas. Wink

Well like I said, forcing people to show up to the polls in the first place seems kind of anti-democratic to me, even if they do get an out.
Just saying.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies