SB 109-15: The Housing and Homelessness Plan (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 109-15: The Housing and Homelessness Plan (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 109-15: The Housing and Homelessness Plan (Failed)  (Read 1989 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: July 02, 2022, 03:37:56 PM »

A lot of what drives this problem is a combination of three factors:

1. Loose Monetary policy driving excessive demand for housing
2. Lack of supply post GFC to meet that subsidized demand (intersects with the supply chain issues/cost of lumber)
3. Zoning/Nimbyism

A fourth one that could be added is the corporate investor angle which Spark inquired with me about a few months ago but I had not really explored the topic yet. I think these are driven in part by the loose money since corporate firms can get capital so easily in this environment, but beyond that more should be done to ensure that people who plan to live in the homes get first dibs.

While I certainly applaud various programs that seek to subsidize and help people on the tail end to get into homes, I kind of feel like we are in the same place as we are with college be it debt forgiveness or even boosting financial aid, without consideration for the underlying inflationary pressures. Failing to mitigate those first is like trying to bail out a ship before plugging the leak.

As for this present bill in question, I agree that the notion of "we need to go above and beyond" is appropriate in the circumstance even if I might disagree with the measures being taken. However, under no circumstances do I applaud the creation of duplicative and overlapping agencies seeking to address the same end. Government bureaucracy and administrative costs are a costly drag on economic output, but also drain resources away from the very area you are trying to help.

Therefore, even as we acknowledge the necessity of "going above and beyond" to address situation, we should be mindful to do so with as little government overhead as possible. This was the mindset Scott and I took when we consolidated most all government health care related agencies, to cut on administrative overhead.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 11:33:25 PM »

Would be nice to have more than a bare quorum showing up to vote though, you do have to admit.

Perhaps the PPT should message people on important votes like you did.

Also updating the topic lines helps as well. (Debating) (Amendment at Vote) (Tabling Vote) etc
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 08:25:11 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies