The new governors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The new governors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The new governors  (Read 1529 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »

How are the newly elected governors doing? Gov. Eric Holcomb here in Indiana has received almost unanimous praise for his first few weeks in office, with people praising his pardon of a wrongly convicted felon who Pence refused to help, his quick action on a lead water crisis in northwestern Indiana, and his roads plan. Any news on the other new governors?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »

How are the newly elected governors doing? Gov. Eric Holcomb here in Indiana has received almost unanimous praise for his first few weeks in office, with people praising his pardon of a wrongly convicted felon who Pence refused to help, his quick action on a lead water crisis in northwestern Indiana, and his roads plan. Any news on the other new governors?

Eric Holcomb looks like Keith Olbermann with a bigger nose and squintier eyes.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 10:29:27 AM by Singletxguyforfun »

Sununu has been doing a pretty good job and he's popular in my part of the state. He's expected to repeal the concealed carry permit requirement, joining VT and ME, a move very popular here since we are a big gun state. Also, right to work legislation is expected in the next week or 2. He's getting a lot done, but I'm honestly not sure where people stand on the rtw here
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »

Sununu has been doing a pretty good job and he's popular in my part of the state. He's expected to repeal the concealed carry permit requirement, joining VT and ME, a move very popular here since we are a big gun state. Also, right to work legislation is expected in the next week or 2. He's getting a lot done, but I'm honestly not sure where people stand on the rtw here
I wouldn't expect RTW to be too popular there, hasn't New England always been a bastion for Big Labor? As for guns, I thought NH-01 got taken over by gun-grabbing Massholes?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Eric Holcomb looks like Keith Olbermann with a bigger nose and squintier eyes.
He always came off as a low-rent Jeb! impersonator to me.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »

How about Phil Scott (Vermont) or Jim Justice (West Virginia)?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »

I wouldn't expect RTW to be too popular there, hasn't New England always been a bastion for Big Labor? As for guns, I thought NH-01 got taken over by gun-grabbing Massholes?

There's really not many unions here, especially compared with Massachusetts. But I really don't have much of an idea on how unions in NH are. And most of the massholes pouring into the border region are republicans fleeing the state. Look at the town map and you'll see many 55-60% large towns that they move to like Salem, Derry, Hudson, and Seabrook
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »

Justice seems to have moved to the left since taking office, at least on economics. He's fighting with State Sen. Craig Blair (R) over privatizing an osteopathic school. He also has a new tax plan for the oil and gas industry, and is ostensibly trying to balance economic revival of the state with some level of environmental protection.

Scott's first big controversy seems to be a public school funding freeze that Republicans support and Democrats oppose. It looks bad to me but I'm not an expert. He has, however, kept Shumlin's SecEducation. He is now going to Québec to meet with the premier up there.

Who does that leave? Any news about Greitens, Carney, or Burgum? Cooper has been discussed at length.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »

Justice seems to have moved to the left since taking office, at least on economics. He's fighting with State Sen. Craig Blair (R) over privatizing an osteopathic school. He also has a new tax plan for the oil and gas industry, and is ostensibly trying to balance economic revival of the state with some level of environmental protection.

Scott's first big controversy seems to be a public school funding freeze that Republicans support and Democrats oppose. It looks bad to me but I'm not an expert. He has, however, kept Shumlin's SecEducation. He is now going to Québec to meet with the premier up there.

Who does that leave? Any news about Greitens, Carney, or Burgum? Cooper has been discussed at length.

I am hoping that Jim Justice helps bring West Virginia back to the road to recovery. That state is in deep doo-doo, economically and socially (poverty, drug addiction, homelessness)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »

Sununu (who is an accidental governor anyway) is going to lose, either in 2018 or 2020. Ann Kuster or Stefany Shaheen would make excellent candidates. Sununu's way to the right of the state, and NH is trending D in the long term.
Blah
Blah
Blah
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

Let me guess,
Jim Justice and Phil Scott are popular?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »

Right To Work Dead in New Hampshire:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank God!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

Thank God!
Why?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

Probably didn't have the necessary support.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »

Thank God!

Hooray!

If it's postponed for two years though, that means it will probably be a big campaign issue in 2018, for the gubernatorial and legislative elections.
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

I haven't seen polling yet, but from what I've heard anecdotally Grietens seems to be pretty liked early.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »

Sununu is starting to look like a flop.   In January he took a $22,000 pay raise over what Hassan was making during her four years.   His Right to Work legislation failed in the House, and he doesn't have much else on the agenda yet except his talk of increasing fiber access (which I would approve of).

I'm not impressed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

Sununu is starting to look like a flop.   In January he took a $22,000 pay raise over what Hassan was making during her four years.   His Right to Work legislation failed in the House, and he doesn't have much else on the agenda yet except his talk of increasing fiber access (which I would approve of).

I'm not impressed.

Don't forget voter suppression. It was one of the first things he blabbered about after the election results were finalized. Pretty standard GOP strategy - 1) win control, 2) use govt to suppress political opponents, 3) profits (literally)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »

Greitens has been a dumpster fire but I'm sure he is still reasonably popular.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »

Sounds like you upgraded
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »

Sununu is basically destined to end up like this guy, haha:

I love Craig Benson's wiki picture. Did he not have an official portrait?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies