opinion of democracy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:23:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinion of democracy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: "                  "
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: opinion of democracy?  (Read 2806 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: December 28, 2005, 11:30:32 PM »

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Positive.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »

Very Negative. The masses cannot control themselves and do not know much about the ability to govern themselves. Like in a family, there must be a "parent". Someone who takes care of the masses. Electing leaders is just too big of a responsibility for the masses.

Okay, I'll be the parent and you can be part of the people who need to be told what to do.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:02:58 PM »

Democracy is messy, unorganized, and allows stupid people (Democrats) to have a say.

Facsism is the best form of government followed by monarchies in terms of efficiency.

I'm sure you'd still say that if the Democrats overthrew Bush and installed Kerry as Supreme Leader.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:40:40 PM »

Facsism is the best form of government followed by monarchies in terms of efficiency.

I'm sure you'd still say that if the Democrats overthrew Bush and installed Kerry as Supreme Leader.

Both good points.  The dilema is that democracy allows for bad people to get elected, people you don't want.  Yet, at least "the people" have a say.  Ultimately, if 100,000,000 people vote your single vote IS pretty insignifigant.  Hawkeye's right in that a dictator is more efficient, yet the problem would be his unlimited power.

The problem with a dictatorship is that every man is mortal; even if you got the perfect ruler, he or she will die eventually and you'll be totally screwed if someone takes power who is completely the opposite of the previous ruler.

I've noticed that many people are in favor of a dictatorship until confronted with the idea of a dictatorship that they don't like.  Democracy does not always produce the best leader a country has to offer, but it does allow the people to boot a bad leader out of office, which is, in my opinion, more important.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:09:06 AM »

True, there are good and bad parts to both systems.  I created this post mainly to point out that democracy is not the "golden heaven" that public schools preach.  Just because the people decide doesn't mean their choice is any better than who could've assumed power otherwise.

Yeah, that's true.  Anyone who thinks democracy is perfect is fooling themselves.  Democracy is subject to all sorts of abuses, such as voting fraud, false smear campaigns by unscrupulous candidates, hidden agendas, etc.  If you can sway the people, it doesn't matter if anything you say is true, and even if you can't sway the people, there's always ballot box stuffing.

Democracy would be near perfect if there was a way to know exactly what you'll get if you elect Candidate A instead of Candidate B, but we haven't exactly yet got the technology to predict the future.

Of course, if you hear out my ideal libertarian/anarchist utopia-I could tell you about how after we abolish government, everyone will be self-governing and we won't need politicains or democracy.  Grin  Grin  Tongue

And I could point you to the fact that every single anarchistic system developed into a government, given enough time. Tongue  Anarchy would be great if everyone was a completely rational, intelligent, perfectly self-motivated person who had plenty of scruples.  The problem is that very few people actually are.  Most people like to have someone tell them what to do for the most part, whether it be a manager at their place of employment, a police officer, or a government official.  On top of that, organization is absolutely essential if humans ever wish to finish large projects, and nearly every organized group of people has someone in charge, such as foreman for construction workers.  The only difference between a small-scale private organization and a more broad government is the scope of operations and how many people are underneath the leader(s).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies