Did your view of Joe Biden evolve?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:20:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Did your view of Joe Biden evolve?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did your view of Joe Biden evolve?  (Read 358 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

It seems to me that Joe Biden's public image has evolved, especially from the perspective of republicans. Before 2008 he was seen as an arrogant prick. Ever watched the Clarence Thomas hearings? The guy is a complete jerk. After 2008 the right saw him as an oaf who constantly put his foot in his mouth, such as when he told the wheelchair bound man to stand up. Now post 2016 it seems that Biden is seen as an elder statesman who is respected even in the right. Is this an accurate perception? Has Joe Biden's stature improved with time? This is mostly a question for those on the right but I'd be curious to see what the red avatars think about this as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »

He looks better because of the alternatives in play in more recent times.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »

The memes certainly played a role, I think.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »

Back in 2008 i probably had a view like many that he was a boring "white senator/politician" from Delaware that was best known for plagiarizing a speech from a british politician. But seeing him being really big hearted(oh god we loved his memes) and realizing how many personal tragedies he faced made me rethink how stupid i was.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »

Not really, I've always liked him.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »

In early 2013 Biden had horrible approvals and did poorly in 2016 matchups while  Hillary had over 60% favorables and beat every Republican. Come late 2015, Biden had sky high approvals and beat every Republican while Hillary had plummeted in every way. It has to do with to what degree they are involved in the ongoing political battles. If Biden runs in 2020 he will go the way of Hillary, though not as far down though.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »

I think the way you lay it out is pretty accurate. In 08 and 12 for example, he was just ole Uncle Joe who would say stupid things. Now I certainly have more respect for him and his appeal to bipartisanship and common sense within the Democratic Party. For example during one of the Democratic debates, Hillary called Republicans her enemy, and Biden responded by saying D's and R's should simply be friends with disagreements. He's a classy guy.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »

Yes. I once thought Biden was a gaffe-prone liability. Then it turned out it's just his sense of humour in most cases... and the rest of the time, he just didn't give a f**k.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 05:00:08 PM by IceSpear »

Biden will be well respected until the second he runs for president, then the GOP attack machine will begin. Remember how popular Hillary was (even among Republicans!) before she ran?

In early 2013 Biden had horrible approvals and did poorly in 2016 matchups while  Hillary had over 60% favorables and beat every Republican. Come late 2015, Biden had sky high approvals and beat every Republican while Hillary had plummeted in every way. It has to do with to what degree they are involved in the ongoing political battles. If Biden runs in 2020 he will go the way of Hillary, though not as far down though.

Yep. If Biden runs and wins the nomination, all the Republicans who "respect him as an elder statesman" now will be talking about how he's Satan incarnate in October 2020. lol. Not that this applies just to the Republicans. John McCain has ping ponged back and forth from "Democrats' favorite Republican" to "evil mean spirited racist warmongering old man" multiple times.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies