Romney's Unusual Accent. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's Unusual Accent. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's Unusual Accent.  (Read 2742 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »

Is it just me, or does Romney have an unique accent? I know in the U.S. there are regional accents,  and each have their qualities. I remember reading that the midwest English was the most neutral, which is why newscasters tend to be from the area and why Hillary Clinton is so difficult to imitate. I also read that the way most people speak in movies and tv shows is really a Southern California accent, and coming from L.A., I know that's true.

But with Romney, the way he speaks just sounds unique. I've always noticed that whenever there's an "a" in the word, it sounds midway between a neutral American "a" and a British "a." Also when "r" is at the end, it sounds real soft.

Here's George Romney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LT9lKUtnk

Reading up on the Romney's family history, their first immigrant was Miles Romney, who was born in England, but once he and his wife emigrated to the U.S., they very quickly moved to Utah. Utah because of its location and Mormon characteristics was very isolated from the rest of the country and the family living in Mexico from 1885-1912 (almost 30 years) isolated them further.

I'm thinking that because of the Romneys' isolation (and time in Mexico), it preserved more British English traits than usual, but also preserved some older western American English traits than usual as well.

I never really noticed that he has a unique or unusual accent.  Then again, I never thought that Kerry "looked" French.  Mitt sounds American to me.  He also sounds like a wealthy, pampered guy, of course, but no more so than most of them do.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

His accent is similar to a Toronto accent.

Talk to anyone from Toronto, its like fake Americans.  They sound American, but its eerily not authentic American.  Ey, hosers!

I don't think so.  Toronto is a dead giveaway.  Get 'em to say "I'm sorry."  

Ottawa is even worse.  When we say "Pussycat pussycat where have you been, I've been to London to visit the Queen."  Or, when we sing that Elton John song Daniel we sing "They say Spain is pretty but I've never been, Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever see ee ee ee ee ee een" we know that been must rhyme with Queen or seen, so we say been.  But when we're talking, "hey, I've been waiting for you for, like, five minutes" we just pronounce been as the middle word in Osama bin Laden.  Ottawa people (and quite a few Toronto people, although not all of them) say it like they'd say it when they're doing Pussycat or Daniel.

Romney doesn't do any of that.  He says been as in Osama bin Laden always.  And he says Sorry the way a normal gringo does.  Not Toronto.  Not Ottawa.

You guys are just finding things not to like about Mitt Romney.  Give it up, already.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies