Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: Rutte III era (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:19:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: Rutte III era (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: Rutte III era  (Read 135921 times)
Harlow

« on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »

What is the tomato-looking thing on SP's logo?
Harlow

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »

What is the tomato-looking thing on SP's logo?

If something looks like a tomato it usually is a tomato. The SP has been using the tomato as a symbol for years.

Sure, but why?
Harlow

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, sounds just like the PVV but for Muslims...
Harlow

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »

It just seems like a rather extreme comment to make without expanding upon the reasoning behind it.
Harlow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »

It just seems like a rather extreme comment to make without expanding upon the reasoning behind it.
I tried to make the post concise. Besides, I and other posters have been making plenty of posts about the phenonenon of DENK on this forum. It is also fine for you to ask about about DENK, of course. But if you're going to lazily translate something from their own web page and use that as "evidence" against my point, then I am going to respond flippantly.

DENK formulate their points in an inclusive way on paper, but their tactics in parliament are disliked across the political spectrum, with Speaker of Parliament Khadija Arib (Labour) having condemned these tactics many times. DENK have a habit of making videos of minority MPs in other parties who dare vote against DENK proposals and posting these videos on Facebook, often without context, to "expose" these MPs. Recently, DENK leader Kuzu was on Turkish tv calling five MPs with a Turkish background traitors for voting to recognize the Armenian genocide as a genocide; these five MPs were subsequently swarmed with death threats. They have also used fake accounts on Facebook to "wolfpack" people in order to have them stop criticize DENK. Journalists are often not welcome at events where most others (except PVV, FvD) do welcome them. And only this week DENK spread WhatsApp messages among the "base" with a comparison of DENK to other parties on a range of issues that isn't mentioned as openly elsewhere: DENK would be the only party in favor of providing security to mosques, "halal mortgages", "banning flags of terrorist organizations (PKK)", headscarves in the police, etc. In itself it is completely legitimate for DENK to have these views, of course, but it is striking how their communication is much more direct and different to the base than in public. Other Muslim parties, such as NIDA Rotterdam, did not want to associate themselves with DENK, because DENK was considered to be too polarizing whereas NIDA aims not to engage in that sort of politics. And of course there was the issue with Sylvana Simons, a well-known Dutch black activist who was a candidate for DENK but resigned because she was told not to talk about women's and LGBT rights too much. And those are just a few points.

Sure, I overstepped my boundaries and made assumptions about things. I appreciate the response.
Harlow

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »

Two hypothetical coalition questions:

1. If GL were to win the most seats for a left-wing party, what would be some likely coalitions?

2. In the (very) hypothetical scenario that parties were willing to work with PVV to form a coalition, which parties would be most likely to do so? I assume FvD is one of them.

EDIT: One more question:

The VVD leadership election in which Rutte won was seen as the right-liberals vs. more right-wing conservatives (iirc). After Rutte leaves, what are the chances of the conservative faction taking control of the party?

1. Klaver wanted a CDA-D66-GL-SP-PvdA government during the 2017 election. You could add PvdD and CU as well in the combination.

I thought PvdD, as a testimonial party, wasn't interested in being involved with government coalitions. Has their position on that changed?
Harlow

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »

Anybody know of a good site to watch the results come in (preferably with a municipality map)?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies