Slave owners, reparations, and retroactive laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:59:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Slave owners, reparations, and retroactive laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (read post first)Back in the day, should slave owners have paid reparations to their former slaves/are retroactive laws justified
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Slave owners, reparations, and retroactive laws  (Read 5408 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« on: August 06, 2005, 05:21:10 PM »

yes/no  Tough question/easy question.

I think the 40 acres and a mule plan initated by Sherman would have been just compensation, and could be siezed from the traitors who took up arms against the United States of America.  It might have also been politically difficult in trying to heal the wounds of the war, but I think it would have at least been just at the time.

But retroactive action, no, the people who were enslaved are long gone, as are those who enslaved them.   I think we should admit the ugly things in our nation's past, but that doesn't mean we are personally responsible for them today.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wonder how good of a slave Philip would make.  I figure there's more than a few folks around who could easily best him in personal combat under his "might makes right" ideology and make him their bi*ch.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies