Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:18:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests"  (Read 3632 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »

I think you forgot to include the part of that article that says this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

and the parts that recommend alternative solutions
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2167542/posts

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »

I oppose gun control too, but don't you think it's intellectually dishonest to avoid quoting the part of the article that says knife incidents are "incredible rare?"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2009, 11:31:53 AM by Lunar »

But making guns illegal isn't going to stop that kind of thing.

The problem with making guns illegal has always been that the guy who wants to rob the 7/11 will manage to get one anyway.

That's more true in the United States than the UK.  Also, not everyone who wants to rob the cornerstore has easy access to the illegal arms black market.

I say this as an opponent to gun control Tongue  You have to make better arguments or I'm going to keep being a devil's advocate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:40 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 05:19:17 AM by Lunar »

I oppose gun control too, but don't you think it's intellectually dishonest to avoid quoting the part of the article that says knife incidents are "incredible rare?"
It's actually illegal to post entire articles in forums (unless they are short) and blogs and what have you.  I normally only keep the first several paragraphs.  (and did something happen to the link in my OP or did I forget it?)

First of all,  I doubt you as a libertarian really care about posting an article in full in a message board. 

Secondly, IF YOU WERE SO CONCERNED ABOUT ILLEGALITY, YOU WOULD HAVE LINKED TO THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION.  No?  Or is this a faux-attempt to care about the "internet law" in order to skirt your intellectual responsibilities?  I had to Google it to find the Freep article that linked to another article to find the actual source.  Surely you'd be more legal to provide a link to the original source?

Third, despite your legal statement of a wikipedia article that apparently governs the rules of FreeRepublic, FreeRepublic still felt fit to post the article in its entirety.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:25:24 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 05:30:51 AM by Lunar »

Sorry if that sounds angry, but I don't like threads that apparently dishonestly omit key facts in their attempts to spin articles, especially if they're Ayn Rand Junior Fan Club threads.  Other people on the forum are around to criticize the stupidity of other articles, but I gotta call them out when I see thems that aren't already calleds out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

Ok, but why does Free Republic post the entire article still despite being sued?

I believe you forgot it (you do usually include a link).  It just seemed sketchy to not include key passages and a link to the original article.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »

I think it's most important to note that gun control works very differently in countries that already have a lot of guns and countries that do not possess very large land borders that a cartel operates in.

I don't support England's gun control, but as a low-crime country, it's not a good case example for gun-rights activists. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies