$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:33:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 113484 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »

I suspect that after a huge pushback from special interests, blue state Republicans and the public, they will pass some sort of shell "tax reform" just to say they did something for the midterms.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »

If this Congress can't pass tax reform then the GOP will collapse

That's why they are guaranteed to pass something at least
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »

I like how people are assuming these college educated a Trump supporters are all a bunch of Rino Tom types.

Just leaving this graph here should debunk this theory:

The question is worry, not do you believe it's true .

So what you're saying is that college-educated Republicans are "I'm alright jack" scumbags?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »

Even though there are so many Senators leaning no on this I still can't believe that they won't pass something. Otherwise it would be apocalyptic for the GOP in 2018.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2017, 12:48:30 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Even though there are so many Senators leaning no on this I still can't believe that they won't pass something. Otherwise it would be apocalyptic for the GOP in 2018.

Well it will be REALLY apocalyptic if they do vote for this trash, considering it's polling at 25-52 in quinnipiac and 19-54 in Harvard-Harris. Hence why I don't care that much what they do. They've already lost the PR battle.

I'm not even sure this bill would poll above water in even West Virginia. Hell, it's telling that the Democrat in the competitive Alabama Senate race feels zero pressure to support it.

Base turnout and corporate donations are more important in the midterms than passing an unpopular bill. If they don't have ANYTHING to tell the GOP base that they've accomplished Republicans will just not bother to vote. There will also be primary challenges funded by angry donors.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »

Voting it out of committee doesn't necessarily mean he'll vote yes on the final bill. McCain voted for the MTP on Obamacare repeal and then switched his vote to kill it. Who knows how the last-minute negotiations and amendments to this thing will end up.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »

I can see Collins and either Corker or maybe Kennedy voting no but I'm unsure about where a third no could come from
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:58:05 AM »

I bet McConnell's snorting a lot of speed to be able to write the bill overnight and then push it through the next day
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »

Official roll call for Cardin motion to recommit is published. Defections were Booker, Gillibrand, Merkley, Sanders, and Warren. Unclear why they defected. : https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00292

Something about 2020 of course
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:06 AM »

I find the American idea that owning a $300k property makes you outside the 'middle class' pretty funny tbh.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

It is really not that complicated. The fact that is a such a large number of people who have absolutely nothing, no property. nothing. It pulls average down far below what you would consider "middle class", thus statements about someone having a $300,000 or $500,000 property, being "middle class" comes off as out of touch.

Well, my main point was that everywhere outside the US 'middle class' means the upper strata of society.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies