Politico: Census to add controversial question on citizenship status
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:51:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico: Census to add controversial question on citizenship status
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Politico: Census to add controversial question on citizenship status  (Read 3418 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »

I have to imagine that undocumented immigrants *already* have a minimal response rate when it comes to the Census, no?

Im clearly in the minority in that I think this is a bad rule that should not be instituted on its own merits, but that it’s effect will be negligible overall compared to how the Census already undercounts people primarily in poor rural areas.

There is fears that it could disgorge participation from legal immigrants and minority citizens.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »

I have to imagine that undocumented immigrants *already* have a minimal response rate when it comes to the Census, no?

Im clearly in the minority in that I think this is a bad rule that should not be instituted on its own merits, but that it’s effect will be negligible overall compared to how the Census already undercounts people primarily in poor rural areas.

There is fears that it could disgorge participation from legal immigrants and minority citizens.

Not invalid ones, but again, I’m more concerned with the underfunding and lack of tests run in preparation for the Census
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

As Marco said, why would we not want to know how many citizens we have?  This is a CENSUS.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »

Maybe, consider it a difference of how I view representation. These people are here whether you like it or not, and they are vital cogs in the economy, whether you like it or not. Representatives should represent the people in their district, undocumented or not.

I am not trying to start a fight on this, but I'm legit curious: Is there evidence to suggest that having non-citizens as neighbors makes you more likely to vote in a way that represents the interests of non-citizens?  Has this been studied?  Because even if you are apportioning seats based on total population, it's only the actual citizens of voting age in those districts who are doing the voting.

What if, hypothetically, the evidence actually went the other way?: That living near non-citizens made people more racist, and therefore more likely to vote in representatives who advocated policies that non-citizens didn't like?  Would that change the calculus?

I don't know about policies per se but there seems to be some evidence that high number of immigrants force natives to vote more conservative/Republican. This seems to be the case in almost every country.

It doesn't quite answer your question but I would find it hard to believe that natives would not become more racist and less tolerant.

I don’t know which way it goes, I just think the “We have to give non-citizens *some* kind of representation, by accounting for them when drawing the district lines” always seemed like a weird argument.  You’re essentially “representing” them by proxy by giving disproportionate voting power to their neighbors who are citizens.

I mean, imagine an extreme case: District A has 800,000 people, all American citizens.  District B also has 800,000 people, but only half of them are citizens.  Both districts elect one representative, but District B only has half as many voters, because non-citizens can’t vote.  So the citizens of District B basically have double voting power.  It only takes half as many of them to elect one member to Congress.  What is the logic then?  That the citizens of District B should have more voting power because they have a large number of neighbors who aren’t citizens, so they’re responsible for deciding the fate of more people?  That they’re some kind of guardians of their neighbors who aren’t citizens?

Maybe they’re actually going to vote in a way that their non-citizen neighbors wouldn’t like, in which case those non-citizens probably aren’t too happy about their citizen neighbors having disproportionate voting power.  But whether this is the case or not, I don’t know.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »

In 1990, I was an enumerator -- and I had little problem getting Hispanics (some probably illegal aliens in the Dallas area). I gave a list of federal agencies to which I was not affiliated (FBI, CIA, IRS, DEA, BATF, and especially la Migra) and I got treated with respect.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »

Out of the 13-15 million illegal immigrants, they probably just want to know where they live.

One of the difficulties with this argument is the "I hate republicans" bias which taints the discussion before the first reply.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

I don’t think this will have as big of an impact as people may think.
same.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »

I don’t think this will have as big of an impact as people may think.
same.

If California isn't that far below the threshold for a House seat, then I think we can say it cost us a House seat.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »

California losing a seat is almost impossible,  gaining a seat was always kinda unlikely anyway.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »

Iowa's an interesting addition, given it's completely controlled by Republicans. Also, worth noting that VT, DE, DC may not have standing as their district counts wouldn't be affected.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Iowa's an interesting addition, given it's completely controlled by Republicans. Also, worth noting that VT, DE, DC may not have standing as their district counts wouldn't be affected.

Iowa has a Democratic attorney general.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »

California losing a seat is almost impossible,  gaining a seat was always kinda unlikely anyway.

Your population estimates for California probably aren't accurate enough to say any such thing.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

Proud to see Virginia on that list.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

Proud to see Virginia on that list.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2018, 07:36:30 AM »

Maybe, consider it a difference of how I view representation. These people are here whether you like it or not, and they are vital cogs in the economy, whether you like it or not. Representatives should represent the people in their district, undocumented or not.

I am not trying to start a fight on this, but I'm legit curious: Is there evidence to suggest that having non-citizens as neighbors makes you more likely to vote in a way that represents the interests of non-citizens?  Has this been studied?  Because even if you are apportioning seats based on total population, it's only the actual citizens of voting age in those districts who are doing the voting.

What if, hypothetically, the evidence actually went the other way?: That living near non-citizens made people more racist, and therefore more likely to vote in representatives who advocated policies that non-citizens didn't like?  Would that change the calculus?

I wonder if this question is similar to ones about white people's views of racial minorities. If I recall correctly, white people tend to be most biased in places where there are almost no minorities, and in places where there are a lot of minorities. There's basically a sweet spot of minority population where white people can feel proximity to minorities, feel like they're part of the community, but also not feel like they're being overwhelmed.

I'm not advocating this, it was just my read of the studies. I'll see if I can dig some up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies