Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 03:13:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition  (Read 13906 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:44 AM »

As Pound said, poetry begins to atrophy when it gets too far from music. Too often free verse is an excuse to dispense with rhythm altogether.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »

Thank you for this response. Yes I suppose 'free' verse written by a poet with a 'good ear' can be perfectly good; it's more the stuff that makes silly use of enjambement which gets my goat. For example much of the Poems on the Undergound series, e.g.

walk the spiral
                     up out of the pavement
          into your own reflection, into
transparency, into the space

where flat planes are curves
           and you are transposed
as you go higher into a thought

of flying, joining the game
           of brilliance and scattering
where fragments of poems

words, names fall like glory
          into the lightwells until
St Mary's Axe is brimming

Gherkin Music by Jo Shapcott

I actually quite like this. The enjambment is a nice bit of visual poetry so that the poem spirals in the same way as the Gherkin does. If I have one criticism it's the the self-consciousness of the line "fragments of poems" in a poem, but otherwise it's not that bad for what it is. Smiley

Anyway the best contemporary poetry I find in music too, especially hip hop and grime. I was sent this today with people laughing over it and expressing admiration for these crisp bars:

"Got a thingamajig out I'm rejigging it quickly and I'm running all sorts of attachments
Big scope with a thermal sight and I'm up on a rooftop prone on a mattress"
is delicious poetry: not only rhythm, but wordplay, humour, imagery, rhyme both end and internal etc. suffused with energy in a direct manner.

Of course songwriters and the like in music have it much easier that it can all be put out and recited to a catchy beat. But that is what poetry for the written page should aspire to emulate in its own way because without this element poetry's appeal will never be popular.  
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:23:22 PM »

Can you explain to me what the poem is actually saying? (Needless to say I don't have the same admiration for it as you; maybe I can be persuaded though.)

Are you a fan of the Poems on the Underground series?

I think I can guess that it's someone going up inside the Gherkin, or looking up it from the ground level. That's another problem with contemporary poetry, without rhythm it is difficult to write clearly without being prosaic, so retreating into allusion or obscurity is too often used as a crutch to avoid banality.

Anyway this is the Ask Nathan thread not the ask me one Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies