GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:30:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread  (Read 71217 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« on: June 20, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »

the concept of special elections seems to be over, everybody is voting all the time.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »

i would be happy with a SUPER NARROW republican victory for a change.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »

close race in GA6 would be a good sign, if an outhright win is out of order.

losing again by a BIG margin would be super confusing for all parties.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »

Massive swing to the Democrats in SC 05. That's pretty amazing.

yeah but according to Taniel from Daily Kos, 2 of the 3 reporting counties are the most heavily pro-Dem and afro-american.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »

I think a few things are clear from this special election season.

1) dem make big gains across the board.

2) republican voters are going all-in.

3) the margins of change are all big not scott brown-huge.

especially GA6 is going to affirm everyone and no one......this anti-trump prez seat became an anti-trump congress-seat, with a similar margin.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »

Wait, so did Handel improve upon Trump's margin?

yeah but that comparison was BS to start with, since price won by a landslide at the same time.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »

Wait, so did Handel improve upon Trump's margin?

yeah but that comparison was BS to start with, since price won by a landslide at the same time.

But Price was the incumbent.  I  still agree this is a slightly positive night for Dems despite two near misses.

question would be, if there are enough seats in the US, even closer than GA6 in times of trump and likely to fall to change the house.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »

crazy crazy crazy

well, weak turnout but still. xD
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »

Well, all the hype for this election was fun while it lasted.

I think the hype for these special elections in general is ridiculous. They don't tell us anything about where the parties will do well in 2018 or what the results will look like. It's just annoying spin from BOTH SIDES™.

they tell us something about "the mood" of both parties, imho.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »

2018: Next year you'll guys really have it!
2020: We're gonna get the House next year. Trump's reelection means nothing. NOTHING.
2022: First they came for the Bad Hombres. Now they're gonna come for me. I swear!

at this point, i surely think a trump re-election would be possible, it would just not have to do a lot with trump.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »

Ignoring, for a second, the embarrassment that was GA-6, can we perhaps take note of the fact that Parnell actually made a race out of SC-5?

reasonable high turnout loss >>> reasonable low turnout loss.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »

How does Corbyn doing well in the UK say anything about US politics?
BINGO.  The US is, culturally speaking, much further to the right than the UK or any other European country for that matter (with the exception of perhaps Switzerland).

corbyn did not win exactly and i am pretty sure, trump would atm get less votes than last november.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »

didn't they just go for the high end of the "reasonable pro-republican result scale"?

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »

hot take:

voters are totally separating between their popular (more or less) local R candidate and the hated president.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »

And would you all suggest that out of the tens of millions of people that voted for Democrats in 2016, the most loyal ones are not in large part "idiots"?

Yes, some hard core Democrats mindlessly regurgitate what the Democratic Party leaders say as well, but I don't see how anybody can dispute the material difference between the Republican base and the Democratic base in terms of their willingness to believe and regurgitate absolute nonsense, such as I pointed above.  

1.The hard core idiot Republican base is about 35% of total voters.  These are the people who continue to support President Trump.  I don't think the idiots on the Democratic side is anywhere near that large.

2.The Republican Party has an infrastructure of non elected dissemblers at Fox 'News' on talk radio (not just Rush Limbaugh and other national high profile radio show hosts, but in every state there are local versions, like Lars Larson in Oregon and Washington state), newspapers like the Washington Times, the Washington Examiner and the New York Post, and internet sites like World Net Daily and Breitbart.    I know of no such equivalence on the Democratic Party side.

The idiot Republican base here and elsewhere would say "New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Rachel Maddow..." what have you, but while these outlets obviously make mistakes from time to time I think there is no question that these outlets have a standard of basic intellectual honesty (not that every opinion journalists at those newspapers or guests on CNN do) that Rush Limbaugh et al do not have.  

Unless you can show to me an equivalent cast of high profile dissemblers on the left who the idiot Democratic base mindlessly regurgitates, I think it's fair for me to say that your comment is based on nothing more than the mindlessly lazy thinking of 'both sides do it/both sides are equally bad."

The best I think you could probably come up with are 'The Young Turks' but then, as we saw in the election, unlike the base idiot Republican dissemblers of whom some were Never Trumpers until he won their party's nomination, The Young Turks hardly ever embraced Hillary Clinton.

AM Joy (which is a pretty good show sometimes), Bill Maher, etc. are the equivalents.

Most Democrats I know hate Bill Maher.

which is a shame, besides being a provocateur he is a truth-talker, even if you disagree with his opinions and willing to talk with about anyone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies