So I got my SAT scores back today... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:14:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I got my SAT scores back today... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So I got my SAT scores back today...  (Read 5165 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 29, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

And I got an 1880 combined total (out of 2400).  Above the mean, but my GPA is only a 3.3, so I really needed to do better to make it into any of the schools I want to go to.  For those interested, I got a 730 in Critic Reading, a 570 in Math, and a 580 in Writing.  I'm thinking about taking the test again and trying to improve those latter scores, as I understand you can submit a combined SAT score to colleges.  My question to you guys; is taking the SAT multiple times a good idea, or do colleges not like that?  Also, has anyone taken an SAT subject test?  I'm thinking about taking the World History and US history ones.

And feel free to talk about your own scores (that's inevitable, right? Tongue).
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

Do schools really look at the SAT anymore?  When I was applying, the ACT was mandatory, but the SAT was optional.  I'd suggest taking the ACT (which I did better on) and not reporting the SAT, unless the schools require it / you do worse on the ACT.  None of the schools I applied to required the SAT, but it may be different in the south (although I don't think University of Oklahoma required it).  What schools are you looking at?

Right now, I'm thinking about going to a DC area school, in hopes of snagging an internship with the State Department which could set me up for a career working as a foreign service officer.  In that case, I would be looking at schools like Georgetown and American.  More likely than not though, I will end up at UGA due to money.

That's an interesting point about the ACT.  I'll have to research what the various schools are looking for.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »

Now I don't even know whether it would be considered polite to talk about my scores.
Sure you can, I made this thread knowing I would be in the bottom half of Atlas scores Smiley

Never taken the SAT, but my general experience from standarized tests (Swedish equivalent and the GRE) is that practising doesn't make that much of a difference.
That was my assumption, so I just went in and took.  I found an app that gives you a new SAT question every day, so I might use that as a sort of light preparation if I do take it again.

Hmm, SAT again, SAT subject tests, or the ACT?  I probably ought to talk my school counselor...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies