So I got my SAT scores back today...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I got my SAT scores back today...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: So I got my SAT scores back today...  (Read 5162 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

And I got an 1880 combined total (out of 2400).  Above the mean, but my GPA is only a 3.3, so I really needed to do better to make it into any of the schools I want to go to.  For those interested, I got a 730 in Critic Reading, a 570 in Math, and a 580 in Writing.  I'm thinking about taking the test again and trying to improve those latter scores, as I understand you can submit a combined SAT score to colleges.  My question to you guys; is taking the SAT multiple times a good idea, or do colleges not like that?  Also, has anyone taken an SAT subject test?  I'm thinking about taking the World History and US history ones.

And feel free to talk about your own scores (that's inevitable, right? Tongue).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »

Colleges vary from school to school in how they count SAT scores; some only take your most recent scores, some take your best scores, whenever they were taken, and some take the best subscore from each of your tests, regardless of when they were taken.  Most schools are fine with you retaking the SAT if you need to; that's becoming more and more common these days.

I took US History and... Spanish... maybe... is that a SAT II test?  I don't remember.  Anyway, you only need to take them if the schools you want to apply to require (or "recommend") them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »

By all means, take the SAT until you get a score that you like. The College Board encourages it because they like making money, and colleges assume that you've taken the SAT multiple times, which is why they ask you to provide your best score.

I took World History, US History and Math II. The first two shouldn't be too hard considering that you post here and seem to know what you're talking about; the curve is pretty generous for both. I got 800 on each of them. On Math II, I got a 740, whereas all my friends got 800. It's not easier or harder than the Math section of the regular SAT; it just involves more advanced math.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

Colleges vary from school to school in how they count SAT scores; some only take your most recent scores, some take your best scores, whenever they were taken, and some take the best subscore from each of your tests, regardless of when they were taken.  Most schools are fine with you retaking the SAT if you need to; that's becoming more and more common these days.

I took US History and... Spanish... maybe... is that a SAT II test?  I don't remember.  Anyway, you only need to take them if the schools you want to apply to require (or "recommend") them.

Just so long as you young folks get a higher score than I did, as I took the Scholastic Aptitude Test back when it had only two parts, not three, so you should hope to beat my 1470.  (750 Math 680 Verbal).  I could have taken it again, and probably should have if I'd wanted to gain admission to an elite school, but my family made enough that the only sort of financial aid I was going to get was student loans, and I didn't think it was worth the added cost compared to going to an in-state public school.  I ended up graduating with no debt whatsoever, for which I have been eternally thankful.  1470 was certainly good enough for me to get into either Clemson or USC.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

Yes, I took it twice. I think a lot of colleges only took my best score in each category. These were m scores:

Test 1
Reading-> 600
Math-> 610
Writing-> 650

Test 2
Reading-> 680
Math-> 680
Writing-> 600

Most colleges let me combine my Reading/Math from Test 2 with Writing from Test 1 for a 2010 score overall.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »

I think I took SAT twice, and like four subject tests. Gets kind of pointless after two or three times unless you prepared a lot to improve your score(>100, at least >50).
I got 770 on math and 640 on Critical Reading and something really embarrassing on writing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »

I did the US History and...English Literature subject tests, IIRC.  The tests are pretty heavily curved: I got an 800 on US History subject test despite knowing that I missed two questions on it (One of which I still remember: "Who was the author of Silent Spring?"

That was quite some time ago.  I remember thinking that the AP exams were far more difficult, but due to only needing to be in the top 20% of one to get a 5, it was a lot easier to get the needed score.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

You can take the SAT as many times as you want without reprocussions besides having to pay for it.

I took it twice and got basically the same scores. I was happy with them so I didn't bother trying very hard on it. One of my friends was trying to get into Princeton so he took it a bajillion times and studied a whole bunch.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »

All my friends are Asian, so half of them have taken the test half a dozen times. I think I'm the only person I know who only took it once.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »

Do schools really look at the SAT anymore?  When I was applying, the ACT was mandatory, but the SAT was optional.  I'd suggest taking the ACT (which I did better on) and not reporting the SAT, unless the schools require it / you do worse on the ACT.  None of the schools I applied to required the SAT, but it may be different in the south (although I don't think University of Oklahoma required it).  What schools are you looking at?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »

Most colleges take your best scores, so I'd take it as many times. What I did - each time I took it I focused heavily on a certain subject, so my final SAT score was way higher than one I got on any of the individual ones.

I'd suggest trying the ACT as well - I did much better with it. Don't get marked against you for marking one wrong.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »

Do schools really look at the SAT anymore?  When I was applying, the ACT was mandatory, but the SAT was optional.  I'd suggest taking the ACT (which I did better on) and not reporting the SAT, unless the schools require it / you do worse on the ACT.  None of the schools I applied to required the SAT, but it may be different in the south (although I don't think University of Oklahoma required it).  What schools are you looking at?

You're in the Midwest, where everyone takes the ACT. Things are different elsewhere. There's no real difference between the two tests.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »

You're in the Midwest, where everyone takes the ACT. Things are different elsewhere. There's no real difference between the two tests.

Like I said - I didn't just apply to the Midwest.  I'm not sure what different regions want, but I applied all over (other than the west/southwest).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »

Like I said - I didn't just apply to the Midwest.  I'm not sure what different regions want, but I applied all over (other than the west/southwest).

I've never heard of any school requiring the ACT. I know that Chicago and Northwestern and Illinois and Purdue and Michigan don't, because I've had plenty of friends apply to those places.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »

I took the SAT twice, but the second time wasn't really important to me; I was just trying to get a fee waiver to apply to Stanford. I was relaxed the second time though, so my score improved significantly (2030->2220).

Do schools really look at the SAT anymore?  When I was applying, the ACT was mandatory, but the SAT was optional.  I'd suggest taking the ACT (which I did better on) and not reporting the SAT, unless the schools require it / you do worse on the ACT.  None of the schools I applied to required the SAT, but it may be different in the south (although I don't think University of Oklahoma required it).  What schools are you looking at?

Like I said - I didn't just apply to the Midwest.  I'm not sure what different regions want, but I applied all over (other than the west/southwest).

ACT is essentially a nonfactor out here. Everybody I knew in high school did SAT only.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

Right now, I'm thinking about going to a DC area school, in hopes of snagging an internship with the State Department which could set me up for a career working as a foreign service officer.  In that case, I would be looking at schools like Georgetown and American.  More likely than not though, I will end up at UGA due to money.

That's an interesting point about the ACT.  I'll have to research what the various schools are looking for.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:10:03 PM »

South is ACT Friendly.

Alabama, Auburn require it I believe (state law I heard, dont quote me on it! I got away with only taking the SAT for Alabama, so theres obviously loopholes or something)

Here in NC people take both, but mainly SAT. I didnt, I only took SAT.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »

Grab one of those practice books that have 12 SAT tests. The 4-6 weeks prior, take every test (ideally in one sitting), and don't skimp the essay prompts. Allowed me to get an 800 on Math, 690 CR (from 600). Writing had stayed at 620 because I didn't do the prompts. Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »

All schools accept both (at least, I've never heard of a school that doesn't accept either), and it doesn't matter which you use.  Personally, I did better on the ACT.  If you're SOOPER WORRIED, take both, but it doesn't really matter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

Grab one of those practice books that have 12 SAT tests. The 4-6 weeks prior, take every test (ideally in one sitting), and don't skimp the essay prompts. Allowed me to get an 800 on Math, 690 CR (from 600). Writing had stayed at 620 because I didn't do the prompts. Tongue

Are schools actually looking at the essays as something important yet?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »

I got an 8 on my essay, which was more than a little bit disappointing. It probably dragged my score down something like fifty points.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 02:21:39 AM »

Honestly, I think they are generally used for tie breakers or covering up a soft blemish in grades. It's a shame, because the essays are generally a more indicative measure of intelligence and character than GPA. It's a test to see if a student can articulate themselves and what they can offer to the school. Shame that GPA still has the highest weight in admissions: cheating was (who am I kidding, still is) rampant at my HS, and I imagine that's pretty universal.

Although I like to think that my essays snagged an acceptance at William & Mary when I got rejected near everybody else Smiley, or maybe it was the 2110/33 scores. One bad semester can deny you the Top 20s, but it is what it is.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »

Honestly, I think they are generally used for tie breakers or covering up a soft blemish in grades. It's a shame, because the essays are generally a more indicative measure of intelligence and character than GPA. It's a test to see if a student can articulate themselves and what they can offer to the school. Shame that GPA still has the highest weight in admissions: cheating was (who am I kidding, still is) rampant at my HS, and I imagine that's pretty universal.

Although I like to think that my essays snagged an acceptance at William & Mary when I got rejected near everybody else Smiley, or maybe it was the 2110/33 scores. One bad semester can deny you the Top 20s, but it is what it is.
I think I've wrote some good essays(At least according to my Ap Lang teacher and college comp prof), but they can easily not be genuine, and people cheat on those as much as GPA. I don't think you would recognize my first and final essay drafts as being written by the same person thanks to the editing from my the teacher I mentioned. And of course there are essay writing services where there is no input at all from the student.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »

Now I don't even know whether it would be considered polite to talk about my scores.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »

Never taken the SAT, but my general experience from standarized tests (Swedish equivalent and the GRE) is that practising doesn't make that much of a difference.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies