Fallout from Trump tariffs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fallout from Trump tariffs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Fallout from Trump tariffs  (Read 14603 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »

A couple of stories seen today:

Three Arkansas companies say they'll close unless given exemption from steel tariffs

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ohio factory thought it could bring U.S. jobs back from China; instead, tariffs may cause it to lose business

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »

"The rust-belt is booming, folks. It's a complete revival of the industries there. The jobs are pouring in!"
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »

We've got good industries, we've got the best industries. Believe me.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »

The price of beer could go up: How Trump’s ‘trade war’ may hurt Rick Scott

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/06/06/this-tariffs-for-you-trumps-trade-policy-poses-risks-for-scott-in-senate-race/
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:41:18 PM »

Unfortunately in the world of business, you have to make decisions.

And some of the most effective decisions by politicians in hindsight are unpopular ones.

Not everyone will like it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »

Unfortunately in the world of business, you have to make decisions.

And some of the most effective decisions by politicians in hindsight are unpopular ones.

Not everyone will like it.

Of course "not everyone will like it". Few will like it because it is a short-sighted narcissism-driven decision, just like every other one coming out of the White House, with poor consequences to the national economy.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »

Making America have a recession again!
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »

Steel tariffs protect jobs in the steel industry... but hurt every other industry that relies on cheap steel for their supply chains and now have increased input costs which they'll pass on to consumers.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »

This was certainly amusing:

Trump hit Mexico with steel tariffs. Mexico is hitting back — and targeting Republicans.
Mexico wants to hit industries in GOP strongholds as the midterm elections approach.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/6/6/17433654/mexico-tariffs-us-goods-trump-trade

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

Internal White House analysis finds tariffs will hurt U.S. economy

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 06:56:02 PM »

I'm glad the Mexican government has the nuance to recognize that many of us didn't want these kinds of horrendous policies to be implemented. Hit 'em where it hurts. They wanted it, now they pay for the consequences, free market and all that.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »

Wow, what a surprising conclusion there!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »

"I'm Cyrus McStrawman and I voted for Donald Trump because he said he would keep my factory job secure. I got laid off because of his tariffs. He still has my support though because I'm sick of NFL players disrespecting our military! I don't need food, shelter, or health care for my family. We thrive on Trump!"
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:00:11 PM »

There is no fallout from Trump's tarriffs because they dont affect enough people to change public opinion
mencken
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:11:14 PM »

I'm glad the Mexican government has the nuance to recognize that many of us didn't want these kinds of horrendous policies to be implemented. Hit 'em where it hurts. They wanted it, now they pay for the consequences, free market and all that.

They are hurting Mexican consumers, just as America's tariffs are hurting American consumers.

One would think someone with any ideological consistency (rather than reflexive opposition to anything Trump does) would view retalitory tariffs as just as idiotic as the initial tariffs.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »

They are hurting Mexican consumers, just as America's tariffs are hurting American consumers.

One would think someone with any ideological consistency (rather than reflexive opposition to anything Trump does) would view retalitory tariffs as just as idiotic as the initial tariffs.

What am I supposed to do? Complain because the initially-stupid policy forces the hand of the affected country to try and balance their losses? No. It's not inconsistent at all. You don't support a stupid decision, but if it's implemented and you wanted it, then you should suffer the consequences. Yes, we're all affected to some extent, but those who explicitly supported it are affected the most until we find some common sense again.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »

Which is precisely why unilaterally imposing random tariffs is an incredibly bad decision. Everybody is forced into losing positions and has to respond from there.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »

From Ben Bernanke

Ben Bernanke: ‘Wile E. Coyote’ Economy Will Go Off A Cliff In 2020

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wile-e-coyote-economy-2020-bernanke_us_5b19ef26e4b0adfb82676ade

Tariffs+Tax Cut= Economy will be Trump presidency's goodbye kiss.
mencken
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 07:01:32 AM »

What am I supposed to do? Complain because the initially-stupid policy forces the hand of the affected country to try and balance their losses? No. It's not inconsistent at all. You don't support a stupid decision, but if it's implemented and you wanted it, then you should suffer the consequences. Yes, we're all affected to some extent, but those who explicitly supported it are affected the most until we find some common sense again.

Trump justifies his tariffs using the trade deficit; thus one could say that the tariffs he imposed were an attempt to try and balance America's "losses" on trade.

Again, this is nonsense to think that punitive tariffs actually punish the target country. Just like Trump's tariffs might benefit a few steel workers at the expense of most American consumers (and producers that rely on steel, for that matter), these punitive tariffs will benefit a few Mexican hog farmers at the expense of most Mexican consumers. I do not think Mexican consumers were the ones who explicitly supported Trump's tariffs.

Which is precisely why unilaterally imposing random tariffs is an incredibly bad decision. Everybody is forced into losing positions and has to respond from there.

No argument here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »

The dumb thing about this is America files more wrongful trade suits with the WTO than any other country, and we win the vast majority. Furthermore, the WTO process is being slowed because the Trump Administration is unilaterally opposing every replacement judge being proposed. It requires universal approval of the 160+ countires within the WTO, and for the last year and a half we've been the loan holdouts.

Brilliant. I guess shutting down the proven workable system for resolving trade disputes is worth it to the Trump Administration proving their boss was "right" to impose tariffs.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »

His supporters won't care. His supporters will never care about stuff like this.

They like him because of his personality and attitude, not because of results or consequences.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 03:53:07 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2018, 03:58:26 PM by forgotten manatee »

His supporters won't care. His supporters will never care about stuff like this.

They like him because of his personality and attitude, not because of results or consequences.

Yes, but they on their own are not enough to get him re-elected. If Trump's chief economic policies create misery for the regular American consumer, that will bode poorly for his chances in 2020 regardless of what a bunch of racist nihilists think.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »

Billions in U.S. solar projects shelved due to Trump tariff on panels

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies