Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should?  (Read 3087 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: January 01, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »

No. Despite having the technological ability end such ailments, poverty, malnutrution, repression, premature mortality, disgusting working conditions, war, inequality, illiteracy and deprivation are endemic, and even treated as "just part of the natural order". I'm increasingly convinced that one of the enemies of human progress is the nation-state, but petty nationalism continues to shackle us, and most every other internationalist I've met sounds like a hippy-dippy moron. Even in my first world country, we are led by a small clique from a handful of public schools; yet any attempt to challenge the supremacy of these institutions is met with a screech. The idle rich get away with murder while the poor get sucked dry. There is no solidarity between oppressed persons, despite the fevered dreams of trots. Abuse of children and women by those in powerful goes on unabated. Despite the grave strain the World is under, the system is only achingly slowly moving or even conceiving the thought that will give arise to such a shift.

I mean liberal capitalism is the best solution that has been tried out at the moment. But to say such a system is the best humanity can come up with would basically border on misanthropy...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »

The good news is that if a housing bubble were to burst, the damage would be much more contained than in 2007-2008. The banks are way less leveraged than they were and there aren't billions and billions in toxic assets on their books(at least yet).

yeah, but it would still be leveraged onto the average joe's back anyway.

@Simmy et al. I think the one of the main problems with saying "too many in college" is that reinforces that higher education is for a upper, upper-middle and middle-middle classes, while working-class people are wrong (even a drag on the economy) for thinking above their station. The treatment of university as a right for all persons (if they chose to do so) has undoubtedly improved many areas of the country, especially the small towns in Wales and the West Country that my family are originally from. My grandparent's generation would never have dreamed of going to university (When one of my grandparents got into uni, the entire village went to the celebration party) because it was not an option for people like them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »

err Gustaf, you missed my point.

liberal capitalism is the best solution that has been tried out at the moment. But to say such a system is the best humanity can come up with would basically border on misanthropy.

I'm against complacency and this Whiggish idea that the whole of human history is a march of inevitable progress to the current day. The current "system" is better than various other methods humans have governed themselves under, but it is riddled with flaws and should not be treated as sacrosanct.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies