IA-Sen: Bruce Braley criticizes Grassley as ‘a farmer from Iowa’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-Sen: Bruce Braley criticizes Grassley as ‘a farmer from Iowa’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: IA-Sen: Bruce Braley criticizes Grassley as ‘a farmer from Iowa’  (Read 11756 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »

So I guess there is a Ron Paul candidate? I haven't followed Iowa at all. Ernst is the establishment nominee?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »

Ernst or Jacobs would be establishment-acceptable, but Ernst is Branstad's candidate. Whitaker's the Paulite.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »

So no crazy Ron Paul candidate?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

Palin is going to IA for Ernst.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »

RIP Ernst chances in this race
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »

'Big endorsement from Ernst from the SCF.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2014, 07:21:08 AM »

I hope Whittaker or Jacobs can pull it out in the primary.  Ernst is just awful.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »

She's a decent B-lister. Certainly not "awful." Only Pub who could've won this is Latham IMO.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »

Any candidate willing to showcase herself castrating pigs can't be all bad.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2014, 02:38:25 AM »

She's also an IRS conspiratist and for her, the Branstad backing certainly won't help anymore in getting a few crossover votes given that he's scandal-plagued now. To give her some benefit of the doubt though, her website doesn't even mention the Palin or Romney endorsements and only those of state legislators. Reynolds or Latham could have made this seat competitive, but with Jacobs self-funding and Ernst's party support and help from individual donors, it could be close in the primary, but either way, one thinks women only care about emotions in a candidate while the other is proud of castrating hogs. This seat will be safe for Braley in due time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »

Any candidate willing to showcase herself castrating pigs can't be all bad.

Castrating pigs could actually prove to be an extremely useful skill to master when you are a woman in a sector filled with creepy old guys. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

Braley is out with his first general election ad, which features Ernst's pig ad.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »

Joni Ernst creeps the fu** out of me.

Anyone else thinks the same ?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Is Ernst THAT bad? She's supposed to he Branstad's preferred candidate I think.

Yep.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »

She's a decent B-lister. Certainly not "awful." Only Pub who could've won this is Latham IMO.

Joni Ernst seems like an analogue to Chuck Grassley. They are both strong conservatives  who had to take down someone who seemed like the establishment candidate. This race probably tilts in Braley's favor, but I think Ernst can still win this if she plays her cards right.

At best, Latham would probably be tied with Braley or behind by a point, meaning the dynamics of this race might look more like those in Colorado.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »

Joni Ernst seems like an analogue to Chuck Grassley. They are both strong conservatives  who had to take down someone who seemed like the establishment candidate. This race probably tilts in Braley's favor, but I think Ernst can still win this if she plays her cards right.

At best, Latham would probably be tied with Braley or behind by a point, meaning the dynamics of this race might look more like those in Colorado.

A better analogue is the Sara Palin of Iowa.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »

Here's a Des-Moines Register write-up of how the race looks now that the primaries are over.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »

Joni Ernst creeps the fu** out of me.

Anyone else thinks the same ?

I do too. she has a crazy stare, and she pauses oddly. I can't shake it.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2014, 03:08:05 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2014, 03:10:02 PM by Never »

Joni Ernst seems like an analogue to Chuck Grassley. They are both strong conservatives  who had to take down someone who seemed like the establishment candidate. This race probably tilts in Braley's favor, but I think Ernst can still win this if she plays her cards right.

It's Sarah with an "h", and Ernst seems more qualified than Palin. Although Ernst is playing up her farming roots, she is also the commander of the largest battlion in the Iowa National Guard. That is a serious job. People don't get promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Army without proving themselves.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »

Joni Ernst seems like an analogue to Chuck Grassley. They are both strong conservatives  who had to take down someone who seemed like the establishment candidate. This race probably tilts in Braley's favor, but I think Ernst can still win this if she plays her cards right.

It's Sarah with an "h", and Ernst seems more qualified than Palin. Although Ernst is playing up her farming roots, she is also the commander of the largest battlion in the Iowa National Guard. That is a serious job. People don't get promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Army without proving themselves.

It's battalion with an "a" and I'm pretty sure he means that Ernst has very similar positions to Sara Palin.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »

Apparently besides supporting a Personhood Amendment that prohibits abortion in all cases and supporting a Federal Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment, I found out Ernst also backs abolishing the Dept. of Education, still believes Iraq had WMDs in hand (and then took it back), and then her moment on the debate stage involving her offensive UCSB comments.

Yeah....so given the fact that she certainly qualifies as a gaffer, the fact that she's a woman and has establishment/Tea Party support won't be able to get her across the finish line. IA and MI could have been made competitive, but putting up female GOP nominees is only a small baby step for the party. Being awful, far-right conservatives automatically cancels out that woman advantage in these 2 races and really, Ernst and Land are treating these races as if they'll be cakewalks for them against Braley and Peters. Both IA and MI are somewhere in between lean D and likely D at this point.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »

Apparently besides supporting a Personhood Amendment that prohibits abortion in all cases and supporting a Federal Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment, I found out Ernst also backs abolishing the Dept. of Education, still believes Iraq had WMDs in hand (and then took it back), and then her moment on the debate stage involving her offensive UCSB comments.

Yeah....so given the fact that she certainly qualifies as a gaffer, the fact that she's a woman and has establishment/Tea Party support won't be able to get her across the finish line. IA and MI could have been made competitive, but putting up female GOP nominees is only a small baby step for the party. Being awful, far-right conservatives automatically cancels out that woman advantage in these 2 races and really, Ernst and Land are treating these races as if they'll be cakewalks for them against Braley and Peters. Both IA and MI are somewhere in between lean D and likely D at this point.

I don't see the problem with abolishing the Dept. of Education. Neither did Reagan and the Republican Party as a whole until 1996 or so. Granted, you probably think that the majority of Republicans are extremists anyway. Education is not outlined in the Constitution as a specific responsibility of the federal government, and based on that, Ernst is on solid ground in arguing that the department should cease operation.

Nevertheless, most of the races this year seem like they will be decided on fiscal rather than social issues, which should benefit Ernst. Braley hasn't been without his share of  gaffes either.

Based on how so many people here are writing off Ernst's chances, I could see a lot of people with egg on their face in November. She already overperformed in the primaries, she is one of the few Republican candidates of this cycle who has proven that she can straddle the line between the establishment and the Tea Party, but most importantly, it seems like she is a feisty, hardworking campaigner. Contrary to what you wrote, I don't believe that she is treating her campaign like it will be a cakewalk.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »

The Washington Times highlights Ernst in write-up.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:10 AM »

What an elitist idiot.

Republicans will play this thing 24/7 until the election.

Another competetive race, because Braley's favorables will drop and the eventual Republican candidate will become better known over the next months.

The Republican outside-groups will do the rest to make it competetive.

You guys are delusional if you think this comment will make the race competitive. It's March and no one is paying attention. As someone said, there are more lawyers than farmers in Iowa and every urban dweller secretly likes these comments because it sticks it to the rurals.

Let's hope then that I won't have to bring up your quote again in Aug./Sep./Oct. ... Wink

The next polls will show what impact it had. But I stick with it: This race could become highly competetive over the summer.

Sry, but I have to bring it up much earlier than I thought:

IA is now projected to be an R pickup:

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/SENATE/2014/polls.php
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »

O/c none of those are by credible firms, but there you go Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6