On-Going Military Coup in Turkey (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:37:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  On-Going Military Coup in Turkey (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: On-Going Military Coup in Turkey  (Read 12134 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: July 15, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »

As much as I don't like Erdogan, the elected president should be respected. I guess this would be the first coup since 1997, and more violent than that one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »

Reminds me of the coup against Diem in '63. Basically, our little boy pissed off the State Department due to too many human rights violations, and there were longstanding animosities in the military to exploit.

Also, Putin probably told Kerry he wanted Erdogan out. If one looks at the Russia-Syria-Iraq-Iran noose Kerry wants to build against ISIS, Turkey was clearly the odd one out.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »

I'm so glad I live in a country where political differences are settled by elections.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

An American Enterprise Institute official published an article in Newsweek in March that, if it came from the State Department would have been considered a greenlight for a coup:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This came on the heels of a long Atlantic interview in which stated, "Obama acknowledged that he initially viewed Erdogan, mistakenly, as the sort of moderate Muslim leader who would bridge the divide between East and West — but Obama now considers him a failure and an authoritarian, one who refuses to use his enormous army to bring stability to Syria.”; Foreign Policy Magazine picked up on both in June.

The chatter was out there and one wonders how much the coup plotters were aware of these articles.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies