Gays in the Military?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:40:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gays in the Military?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Gays in the Military?  (Read 13787 times)
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »

I think gays should be allowed in the military as long as they are required to be blindfolded when their roommates are taking a shower, and have separate beds rather than share.

Before I even bother, are you serious?

What, do you support gays ogling you in the shower?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

I think gays should be allowed in the military as long as they are required to be blindfolded when their roommates are taking a shower, and have separate beds rather than share.

Do you not think they can control themselves?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »

I whole heartedly support that, yes.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »

I whole heartedly support that, yes.

At least SOMEONE is ogiling me.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07:16 PM »

Their stares aren't going to make my genitals turn green and fall off.  They can do whatever the hell they want.

And I think that most professionals could control themselves, yeah.  If no one noticed they're gay until they outed themselves, obviously they've been doing a good job thus far.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »

I always found it funny that the "I don't want them looking at me" argument generally comes from people who most poeple would probably walk into walls to avoid looking at naked.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »

When I was in the military, I was TDY to Macedonia one time and I had to temporarily share a room with 3 other NATO guys, 2 Americans and a Brit.   Anyway, after a night of heavy drinking out in the town, I came back and literally passed out in my room.   One of the Americans and the Brit came back sometime later, and to make a long story short, the American made some sort of sexual pass at the Brit, crawled on top of him while he was sleeping and Lord knows what else.  The British guy didn’t like it so he proceeded to attempt an ass-whoopin.  I woke up in the middle of the scuffle and had to separate the two while the other guy ran to get the MPs.   It was pretty funny, but the gay guy was beat up pretty badly.

In 4 years of service, that was the only homosexual “incident” I ever encountered and I served with many people who were gay (then again, I worked exclusively at NATO commands, where other nations’ militaries don’t have such draconian anti-gay policies as ours).

Clinton’s "don’t ask don’t tell" policy – as imperfect as it is, is a step in the right direction and one day the gay ban will be removed completely.   The handful of soldiers, Marines, sailors, airmen who will have a problem with it are simply going to have to suck it up and become "professional" enough to deal with it. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »

Fortunately, it would appear times are already a-changin':

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/13/60minutes/main3615278.shtml?123

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

Fortunately, it would appear times are already a-changin'

To hear the GOP candidates speak, even the traditionally pro-gay ones like Romney or Giuliani, the policy is apparently necessary for national security.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »

Fortunately, it would appear times are already a-changin'

To hear the GOP candidates speak, even the traditionally pro-gay ones like Romney or Giuliani, the policy is apparently necessary for national security.

Foremost in the gay agenda are nukes for Iran.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »

I recently thought about this.  I had always been against it, but it remained one those list of issues I had never thought about in great detail.  I have changed mind and now support gays in the military.  I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.  Opinions?

Go away you bigot.  How about we throw you in jail for being a stupid bigot.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »

I recently thought about this.  I had always been against it, but it remained one those list of issues I had never thought about in great detail.  I have changed mind and now support gays in the military.  I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.  Opinions?

Go away you bigot.  How about we throw you in jail for being a stupid bigot.
You have set gay people back 200 years with that remark
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:04 PM »

Then he's still 200 years ahead of you.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »

Then he's still 200 years ahead of you.
I support gays to have every right as a citizen, however, I do not recognize the union of two gays.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »

I do not recognize the union of two gays.

Yes, and you can't logically explain why.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »

Just because the slippery slope argument isn't not one you can perscribe to doesn't mean it is not a fact.  Also, think about what you (and most liberals) are saying.  "If you don't support(x) you must a bigot and racist so leave America."  I'm afraid of what (x) is going to mean next
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »

Just because the slippery slope argument isn't not one you can perscribe to doesn't mean it is not a fact.  Also, think about what you (and most liberals) are saying.  "If you don't support(x) you must a bigot and racist so leave America."  I'm afraid of what (x) is going to mean next

DWTL, do you know the meaning of "straw man"? Or "associational fallacy"? Or "petitio principii"?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2007, 12:30:42 AM »

This letter was in our newspaper today.  I thought it was excellent.

Letter:  Willing and able to serve should be only questions.

On Nov. 30, there were nearly 12,000 small American flags placed in honor in our nation’s capital. They do not denote heroism or being killed in combat. Each flag represents a military service member discharged under the current “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.

I’ve heard all the popular arguments for and against homosexuality. I’m neither a theologian nor an educated man who spouts words like “blaspheme” or “life’s choice.” In my 58 years, I have committed a few sins, more than others, and have made some pretty stupid choices, neither determined my heterosexuality. My parents, both with faults, taught me, “You Are What You Are.”

When I was a young infantryman, I knew that the guys I served with were “Macho Heartbreakers, Life Takers.” As I progressed through my 20 years in uniform, I had the distinct privilege to serve with the finest men and women to ever take the oath. In dealing with both sexes, I realized I had a lot to learn.

Two of the greatest things I learned were sensitivity and compassion. Both have served me well, in uniform, as a loving husband and doting father. Anyone who has served at least one hitch in uniform has known at least one alcoholic, drug abuser and someone gay if one or the other had acknowledged it.

I have served with some fine enlisted and commissioned officers whom I suspected of being gay and a few who admitted openly to me. I could rely on these men and women to give and take orders and get the mission successfully completed. On numerous occasions, I have voted for convictions at a court martial of what we refer to in the Army as druggies, juicers and yes, even two gays. Their criminal behavior, nothing more, resulted in their convictions, the two gays were charged with crimes unrelated to their lifestyle.

Our military is stretched pretty thin right now. We are now accepting recruits with criminal histories while discharging proven soldiers whom openly admit being gay. So many of our vital occupations are under staffed due to this inane policy. So many patriotic Americans want to serve but are reluctant to.

Several retired admirals and generals have called upon the president and the secretary of Defense to review this policy. As I said before “You Are What You Are.”

Michael D. Monfrooe

Bemidji
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:45 AM »

Just because the slippery slope argument isn't not one you can perscribe to doesn't mean it is not a fact.

That has to be the most inunderstandable sentence I've read all month.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2007, 06:24:06 PM »

DWTL, do you know the meaning of "straw man"? Or "associational fallacy"? Or "petitio principii"?
I wish pity on your soul
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:33 PM »

I don't have a problem with gays in the military.  Does being gay mean that you cannot follow orders?  Does being gay mean that you cannot shoot a firearm?  When it comes to the military, gay people are exactly the same as straight people.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2007, 11:19:54 PM »

I wish pity on your soul

My non-existent soul doesn't need any pity, thanks.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »

I wish pity on your soul

My non-existent soul doesn't need any pity, thanks.
Proves my point, the gay marriage debate is not rooted in fact at all, the entire debate is nothing but opinion.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »

Proves my point, the gay marriage debate is not rooted in fact at all, the entire debate is nothing but opinion.

The fact that you find such a natural disconnect between opinions and facts is telling.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »

If you have a point, you have yet to state it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies