Are you morally obligated to defend a stranger from a violent crime? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:10:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are you morally obligated to defend a stranger from a violent crime? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you morally obligated to defend a stranger from a violent crime?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Are you morally obligated to defend a stranger from a violent crime?  (Read 1422 times)
LBJer
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »

I voted no.  I don't think you're morally obligated to put yourself in danger for the sake of a stranger.
LBJer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 11:04:35 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2021, 12:41:47 PM by LBJer »

If It was you, you'd want a stranger to defend you.

But "wanting" someone to do something doesn't necessarily mean that the other person is morally obligated to conform to that wish.  If I don't want my girlfriend to dump me for another guy, that doesn't mean she has a moral obligation to avoid doing so.  She can say: "You know what?  Tough.  I have a right to be with who I want, as long as they're willing to be with me.  You'll just have to deal with it."  And she'd be absolutely right.  

If someone says: "I don't think I'm morally obligated to risk my life for a stranger,"  it's hard to see how that's clearly wrong, even if one disagrees with it.  It's certainly not like, say, a restaurant owner saying: "I don't think I'm morally obligated to serve African Americans--I can only serve whites if I want."  That's obviously false, because African Americans have a clear moral right to be treated equally.  Therefore, the owner is obligated to either serve both races or neither.  There is nothing comparable which shows that someone is obligated to defend a stranger.  Yes, the stranger's life is important, but so is one's own, and whether someone must value the stranger's as much as their own is very much a subjective call.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies