Burns' Primary Opponent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:23:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Burns' Primary Opponent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Burns' Primary Opponent  (Read 1720 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:49:51 PM »

Some good news out of Montana - Burns will receive a primary challenge from State Senate Minority Leader Bob Keenan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/21/AR2006032102096.html
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »

Will Montana Republicans recognize that Burns is in deep and vote for Keenan?  I wonder if he has the money to compete with Burns.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:29:52 PM »

Would this make Rehberg or Racicot more or less likely to run as well, do you think?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »

Would this make Rehberg or Racicot more or less likely to run as well, do you think?

Considering as the primary filing deadline is in two days, if either is deciding to run we would have probably heard something about it by now.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »

Tomorrow is the filing deadline.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2006, 11:25:01 PM by Reagan Raider »

Well this makes the race a lot less predictable.  Something tells me Burns will survive the primary, but if his primary opponent has the funding, he might be in for some trouble. 

A win in a tough primary is not always a bad thing, in 1986 my former U.S. Senator Bob Packwood had a brutal primary in a political environment slightly similar to 2006.  He won the primary by 12% (Not great for an 18 year incumbent) and energized from the primary victory he scratched his way through the general election. 

Here is hoping that, whoever carries the Republican banner for the U.S. Senate in Montana this November, the party can unify behind the nominee.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »

Well this makes the race a lot less predictable.  Something tells me Burns will survive the primary, but if his primary opponent has the funding, he might be in for some trouble. 

A win in a tough primary is not always a bad thing, in 1986 my former U.S. Senator Bob Packwood had a brutal primary in a political environment slightly similar to 2006.  He won the primary by 12% (Not great for an 18 year incumbent) and energized from the primary victory he scratched his way through the general election. 

Here is hoping that, whoever carries the Republican banner for the U.S. Senate in Montana this November, the party can unify behind the nominee.

Hopefully Burns will run on being the next Packwood.  Wink

I know you are a very dedicated Republican, but don't you find many of the comments Burns has made...unnerving?
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 11:56:07 PM »

Hopefully Burns will run on being the next Packwood.  Wink

I know you are a very dedicated Republican, but don't you find many of the comments Burns has made...unnerving?

There are many problems with Burns, but personal differences aside, I am committed to maintain a Republican majority.  Committee chairmanships are worth a few problematic Republicans, and certainly a few problematic Republicans are better than a Democratic majority.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »

A few points:
1. He's about to lose his seat due to term limits.

2. He's the senate minority leader and still can't get the local party endorsement.

3. Under his leaedership they lost the senate.

I get the sense that this is kind of a desperate career move and that Burns will still win quite easily.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »

A few points:

I get the sense that this is kind of a desperate career move and that Burns will still win quite easily.
Good points... Smiley
It looked like a heavyweight challenge at first glance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
For what? US Senator - well that would hardly be surprising (though it would be bad news) given that he's challenging the incumbent... Or for something else that I'm not aware of?
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 04:42:37 PM »

Dennis Rehberg announced today that he'll run for re-election to the House, and will not challenge Burns.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »

Thank God.  Unless Burns dies or retires midway through the campaign or something he will be on the ballot in November. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 04:16:19 AM »

Compared to Packwood?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 06:21:55 AM »

A few points:

Good points... Smiley
It looked like a heavyweight challenge at first glance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
For what? US Senator - well that would hardly be surprising (though it would be bad news) given that he's challenging the incumbent... Or for something else that I'm not aware of?

No, it says in the article that the State Party endorsed Burns over Keenan. My point is that yes, Burns is the incumbent, but he's made an ass of himself and is the most unopular senator in the country. Now, I would expect a State Senate leader to have some sort of standing in his party, at least enough to make them stall their endorsement of a hopeless, impopular incumbent federal senator. That it didn't happen indicates to me that this is a candidacy not taken seriously by others than himself.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »

Compared to Packwood?

Well, if we're using Bob Packwood as a litmus test, I think we're already pretty far into the moral doldrums.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »

Bingo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies