An idea about the House-Senate deficit panel that both Reid and Boehner endorse (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:33:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  An idea about the House-Senate deficit panel that both Reid and Boehner endorse (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An idea about the House-Senate deficit panel that both Reid and Boehner endorse  (Read 1696 times)
BigSkyBob

« on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »

If I was a Democrat in Congress, I would try and get the GOP to sign onto the chained-CPI for the tax code. In exchange, I'd probably have to concede doing the same for Social Security COLA.

This would give Republican's cover in the sense that it's not a blatant, outright tax hike. The genius is it slowly pushes more and more American's into higher tax brackets via the lower measure for inflation. Plus few voters actually understand the concept of a chained-CPI so it's less likely to garner popular opposition. 

A stellar example of why the political class must be treated like cockroaches because they act like cockroaches.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »

If I was a Democrat in Congress, I would try and get the GOP to sign onto the chained-CPI for the tax code. In exchange, I'd probably have to concede doing the same for Social Security COLA.

This would give Republican's cover in the sense that it's not a blatant, outright tax hike. The genius is it slowly pushes more and more American's into higher tax brackets via the lower measure for inflation. Plus few voters actually understand the concept of a chained-CPI so it's less likely to garner popular opposition. 

A stellar example of why the political class must be treated like cockroaches because they act like cockroaches.

The political class will stop acting like cockroaches when the public stop acting like hyenas.

Another stellar example of how much the political class overrates itself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies