Charles Darwin The origin of Species
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Charles Darwin The origin of Species
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Darwin The origin of Species  (Read 1492 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2005, 08:43:51 AM »

The origin of species is a book written before DNA was even discovered with a detailed 15 chapters listed below. Darwin was a man of God before he went to the Galapogos Islands. His work is being trashed becasue they dont like the arguement 'what about Darwin'

Chapter I - Varition under Domestication
Chapter II - Variation under Nature
Chapter III - Struggle for Existence
Chapter IV - Natural Selection
Chapter V - Laws of Variation
Chapter VI - Difficulties on Theory
Chapter VII - Miscellaneous Objections to the Theory of Natural Selection
Chapter VIII - Instinct
Chapter IX - Hybridism
Chapter X - On the Imperfection of the Geological Record
Chapter XI - On the Geological Succession of Organic Beings
Chapter XII - Geographical Distribution
Chapter XIII - Geographhical Distribution continued
Chapter XIV - Mutual Affinities of Organic Beeings: Morphology: Embryology: Rudimentary Organs
Chapter XV - Recapitulation and Conclution

I look forward to the 15 chapters explaining Intelligent design and comments from Rick Santorum, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, George Bush and any other religious FREAK that harms not only his common sense but also misrepresents his religion.

Republicans spank their children to teach respect yet they have very little for those that they disagree with.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:44:52 AM »

Calm down Nomo
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »

MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 08:46:20 AM »

I'm not playing any games or name-calling.

Kansas made their decision to ban it from science classes. Bush has made his bed now he must lay in it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:47:43 AM »

Right...

Republicans spank their children to teach respect yet they have very little for those that they disagree with.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »

Also, we need to remember that many of Darwin's most important views on evolutionary theory were published in The Descent of Man. This book is hardly sine qua non.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »

To be technical, the title is "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."  The book discusses the process of natural selection and genetic variation, but does not cover where life itself begins.  It does, however, cover many accepted thoughts (of then and now) of how "life," in various species families, adapts to its surroundings, which was later to be known as "survival of the fittest" (not a Darwin quote).

I would recommend reading the book before making another blanket accusation (not unlike those of Darwins time against his supporters).  The book is free on the internet and is available here.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 09:04:32 AM »

I realize that we can never underestimate the intelligence of many of America's high school students, but I don't imagine the seriously addled pupils would check The Descent of Man out of the library. For those who do read it, I imagine they could put Darwin's ideas in the proper historical context. How sad if the discourse is cheapened to those ideas which do not cause offense.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 09:08:18 AM »

I realize that we can never underestimate the intelligence of many of America's high school students, but I don't imagine the seriously addled pupils would check The Descent of Man out of the library. For those who do read it, I imagine they could put Darwin's ideas in the proper historical context. How sad if the discourse is cheapened to those ideas which do not cause offense.

It was actually required reading for us.  However, it's a bit ironic that before reading the book, we had started the school day with saying the Pledge of Allegiance and a morning prayer.  hehehe . . . so I had the best of both worlds.  Smiley
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 09:13:15 AM »

You certainly had viewpoint diversity. I'm curious, MODU, did you go to a faith school? I don't imagine a public school began the school day with a prayer.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 09:21:18 AM »

You certainly had viewpoint diversity. I'm curious, MODU, did you go to a faith school? I don't imagine a public school began the school day with a prayer.

No, it was public school . . . back in the good ol' days.  And our classes were broken down based on our academic abilities and not by some forced cookie-cutter curriculum.  Outside of particular projects, like reading the above book, we would split up into four groups and study based off of materials designed to improve our particular academic short-falls.  For me, I was in the high group for Math with 3 other kids, yet was in one of the middle groups for English/Lit with 7 other kids.  Of course, or classes weren't more than 20 kids, so it was easier for the multiple teachers to have more quality time with the students.

Try to pull that off today with the NEA.  Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies