Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:28:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)  (Read 44985 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2014, 11:51:57 AM by The Roose is Loose »

I agree. I've been as anti-war as anyone and have always believed the Iraq War was wrong. However, I see no way around avoiding involvement. I do not support putting American boots back on the ground. We, along with our allies, should be using our air superiority to maximum advantage. At the same, I'm hesitant with who we supply arms to, but I do believe the Kurds are the most trustworthy in the region with advanced weaponry. It is people such as them that must fight the ground war. There is no other alternative than the complete extermination of ISIS off the face of the Earth.
If it were really as easy as just dropping bombs until the bad guys went away our problems in the Middle East would've disappeared a long time ago. There are sadly many people in the Middle East with a passionate, murderous hatred of the US and it doesn't come from nowhere. In fact, it just keeps getting worse and worse as we keep meddling (invading Iraq, training and supplying "freedom fighters" in Syria, etc) and now things are more dangerous than ever. Kicking the hornets' nest with more bombing in a vain attempt to "exterminate" a well-funded decentralized terrorist group full of zealous ideological extremists will only breed more hatred and blowback in the long term. We've done enough damage as it is and every time we try to "help" things only end up worse and more dangerous.

Don't the Syrians and Iraqis know that bombs don't kill people?  People kill people!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »

I agree. I've been as anti-war as anyone and have always believed the Iraq War was wrong. However, I see no way around avoiding involvement. I do not support putting American boots back on the ground. We, along with our allies, should be using our air superiority to maximum advantage. At the same, I'm hesitant with who we supply arms to, but I do believe the Kurds are the most trustworthy in the region with advanced weaponry. It is people such as them that must fight the ground war. There is no other alternative than the complete extermination of ISIS off the face of the Earth.
If it were really as easy as just dropping bombs until the bad guys went away our problems in the Middle East would've disappeared a long time ago. There are sadly many people in the Middle East with a passionate, murderous hatred of the US and it doesn't come from nowhere. In fact, it just keeps getting worse and worse as we keep meddling (invading Iraq, training and supplying "freedom fighters" in Syria, etc) and now things are more dangerous than ever. Kicking the hornets' nest with more bombing in a vain attempt to "exterminate" a well-funded decentralized terrorist group full of zealous ideological extremists will only breed more hatred and blowback in the long term. We've done enough damage as it is and every time we try to "help" things only end up worse and more dangerous.

Don't the Syrians and Iraqis know that bombs don't kill people?  People kill people!
What point are you trying to make?

Just that the "guns don't kill people, people kill people thing" is idiotic if you try to apply it in pretty much any context, yet for some reason many people act like it isn't a self-evidently absurd argument in the context of debates about gun control.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »

it's amazing how easily the war machine can be fired up.  every news affiliate is running stories "ISIS recruiting Americans and smuggling across Mexican border?  details at 7"  this after Iraq-2003 became the most unpopular war in the history of post-industrial revolution imperial society.  it helps that it's a Democrat, otherwise liberals would be asking the more uncomfortable questions, while Republicans are only capable of thinking of it as a "bad investment"

Indeed, beyond which, this isn't a case like Rwanda where strategically deploying a few troops in select locations would quickly halt (or in this case prevent) genocide.  If we go in, we'll have just deliberately stepped on a bear trap and won't be getting out for quite some time.  Apparently, no one learned anything from Iraq Sad

The thing that has always amazed me is how a lot of people in places like Topeka, Reno, or Panama City think that terrorists are going to attack *their* hometown.  As if Al-Qaeda's top target is Panama City Tongue lol
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »

it's amazing how easily the war machine can be fired up.  every news affiliate is running stories "ISIS recruiting Americans and smuggling across Mexican border?  details at 7"  this after Iraq-2003 became the most unpopular war in the history of post-industrial revolution imperial society.  it helps that it's a Democrat, otherwise liberals would be asking the more uncomfortable questions, while Republicans are only capable of thinking of it as a "bad investment"

Indeed, beyond which, this isn't a case like Rwanda where strategically deploying a few troops in select locations would quickly halt (or in this case prevent) genocide.  If we go in, we'll have just deliberately stepped on a bear trap and won't be getting out for quite some time.  Apparently, no one learned anything from Iraq Sad

The thing that has always amazed me is how a lot of people in places like Topeka, Reno, or Panama City think that terrorists are going to attack *their* hometown.  As if Al-Qaeda's top target is Panama City Tongue lol

And there's the killing of Christians by the non Kurdish Syrian rebels. Ironic that I, as a non Christian, have to point this out to the Christians in this country.

Don't worry, we're only arming moderates Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies