Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:35:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland)  (Read 6611 times)
Mike67
United States

« on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »
« edited: December 11, 2016, 11:58:55 AM by Mike67 »

Here's a good list of Conservative Candidates for the Supreme Court

Keith Blackwell Georgia Supreme Court Justice

Charles Canady Florida Supreme Court Justice

Neil Gorsuch Judge Tenth Circuit US Court Of Appeals

Mike Lee Senator from Utah who used to be Assistant US Attorney from Utah and he's on the Senate Judiciary Comittee

Edward Mansfield Justice Iowa Supreme Court

Federico Moreno Judge US District Court Southern District of Florida

Margaret A Ryan Judge US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces

Amul Thapar Judge US District Court Eastern District of Kentucky

Timothy Tymkovich  Chief Judge US Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit

Robert Young Chief Justice Supreme Court of Michigan
Mike67
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »

Obviously the question is moot for now, but who are some of the more left wing potential nominees that a Democrat (like Sanders) would pick?

Nina Pillard seems like an obvious choice in this scenario.

Maryanne Trump Barry is a very liberal judge
Mike67
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

Obviously the question is moot for now, but who are some of the more left wing potential nominees that a Democrat (like Sanders) would pick?

I will laugh if Trump nominates his sister as judge, like he suggested in the first debate

I don't think that will happen Wink
Mike67
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »

I will laugh if Trump nominates his sister as judge, like he suggested in the first debate

I don't think that will happen Wink

Neither do I. Though if Tillerson gets shot down and Trump gets mad who knows

He'll nominate Newt Gingrich if Tillerson is shot down Wink
Mike67
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »

Aren't there any more people in the legal profession these days who are like - who strive to emulate - Supreme Court Justices Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Benjamin Cardozo, or Hugo Black? What the Supreme Court needs to have is people who are dedicated to objectivity; people who divorce their political views from their interpretations of law.

Those days are probably over for good
Mike67
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »

Aren't there any more people in the legal profession these days who are like - who strive to emulate - Supreme Court Justices Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Benjamin Cardozo, or Hugo Black? What the Supreme Court needs to have is people who are dedicated to objectivity; people who divorce their political views from their interpretations of law.

There are probably plenty, but neither side will appoint them to the Supreme Court because the other side would then have a major advantage.
So plainly true that I sat out of the elections of 2004, 2008, 2012, and the mid-terms after them. I voted for Evan McMullin this year (write-in) because I was trying to feel some hope that he might be the one who will search for a Holmes/Cardozo/Black and appoint them.
The Court is just plain too political. For decades it's had nothing but mediocrities who don't see how often they are bending the meaning of the Constitution to strike down laws they don't like. I don't see the point in participating in a "democratic republic" when our power to make laws is so often thwarted incorrectly.
If that's true, then I have only one over-arching legislative goal: this country needs a constitutional amendment that rewrites Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to make its meaning narrower and clearer. That part of the Constitution is the one most frequently litigated before the Supreme Court (Source: Wikipedia article about the 14th Amendment), and from what all I've read, it's the most frequently misinterpreted. If that part of the Constitution get rewritten to be narrower and clearer -- to give states much more precise guidelines about what they cannot do, and to narrow the discretion that the Supreme Court exercises in choosing which laws to strike down -- then maybe I'll permanently resume participation in the election process. Because maybe then it won't matter if the Supreme Court has nothing but mediocrities on it.
Maybe.

That probably wont change and the Supreme Court will stay the way it's been for the last couple of decades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies