The Tea Party/GOP are just re-branded Birchers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:28:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Tea Party/GOP are just re-branded Birchers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Tea Party/GOP are just re-branded Birchers  (Read 3113 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 21, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »

A motivated fiscally conservative movement comes about after a decade of fiscal irresponsibility and suddenly they are extremists, Birchers, fringees, militia movement types, Klansmen, racists, nativists, Tim McVeigh wannabe's and on and on and on.

You know I actually hoped and beleive the Democrats were sincere when they promised to "drain the swamp" in Washington. I realized I was dead wrong when I saw Democrats like Steve Isreal labeling the RSC as "fringe" on the house floor in 2007, when the RSC members were the only ones holding the porkers of both parties accountable and fighting for real reform. Suddenly stopping and preventing and reducing the fiscal irresponsbilities under Bush took a back seat to destroying the biggest threat to their big gov't ideology, the voices within the GOP who had been demanding more restraint and lower spending.

The reason Dems and liberals and progressives are so afraid of the Tea Party is becuase they fear that if fiscal conservatism becomes popular, they have the most to lose. So whenever I hear these leftwing nuts throwing out the extremist label, I just see a power hungry beast engaging in C.Y.A. out of desperation. God forbid if smaller gov't became in vogue again, for that would ruin them.

Quit trying to label them in a way to marginalize them, listen to them and address their concerns.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »

A motivated fiscally conservative movement comes about after a decade of fiscal irresponsibility and suddenly they are extremists, Birchers, fringees, militia movement types, Klansmen, racists, nativists, Tim McVeigh wannabe's and on and on and on.

Haha, yeah, this is an entirely grassroots organisation with the common, and noble, cause of reducing fiscal irresponsibility, regardless of the party, or race, of the incumbent President. Please.

Roll Eyes 

So the Tea Party is just a bunch of racist xenophobic bigots that can't stand Obama and want the evil librul dems gone. Right. Roll Eyes Is that why there was a wave of conservative protest under Bush against both the Immigration bill and the TARP bill. Is that why several Republicans have lost primaries to Tea Partiers. Yea, they just don't like evil librul foreigner Obama. Gotcha. One would be crazy not to trace some of the conservative anger that now manifests itself in the Tea Party back at least to 2007 with the Immigration bill. 

I am not interested in hackish talking points. I am also not interested in listening to what is essentially an attempt to marginalize the Tea Party. They have their benefits, and that is at points to remove tainted politicians like Murkowski and to put pressure on politicans to get spending and growth of gov't under control. They do misstep at times and bite off more then they can chew like in Delaware. They are a new movement and they are not organized from a central organ or leader (I think the hackish DNC line that the Tea Party is an extention of the RNC has been completely debunked). Every movement with no central organization and leaders runs the risk of beng taken advantage of by con artists and schemers and crackpots, but that doesn't take away from the central motivation of the movement. For example, did the nuts in the Obama coalition take away or make any less powerfull, Obama's progressive message and adjenda, no. They were a nuisance however and a pitfall. Any movement that wants to remain viable will be policed either by leadership or in the case of the Tea Party, its rank and file. The tea party hatred isn't about its few crackpots trying to take advantage of them, its about destroying a force that makes advancing the progressive adjenda impossible because of their opposition to gov't.

There has been no fiscal irresponsibility, other than an inadequate taxation of the rich, and of course inadequate social spending, Yanke.

Quit trying to label them in a way to marginalize them, listen to them and address their concerns.

'Addressing their concerns' will simply require killing millions of poors, Yankee.  Of course, this will happen, but I don't think it is seemly to let it go without a few squeaks of protest.

I would think you agree with me. Most of the "wasteful spending", fiscal irresponsibility and corruption was used to be benefit a select group of wealthy and powerful special interest groups. I am surprised that you disagree with me. Do you find this spending as beneficial as the social programs that you want?

I don't recall saying that you should surrender to the tea Party. The would be bad from the opposite extreme. What I did say was that you shouldn't marginalize them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies