Petition to Recall Representative Winfield (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:57:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to Recall Representative Winfield (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Petition to Recall Representative Winfield  (Read 1823 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »

I'm against this. There is no anti clogging rule in the Northeast so even though clogging is annoying he has the right to do it. I proposed an anti clogging rule to prevent this in the future.

Plus, without Winfield, Adam woukd have far less to make a fuss about.

It's true that there's no de jure clogging law in the SOAP, but there is a de facto one, in that the speaker has discretion of what he puts in 2 out of the 3 non budget slots.

For what it's worth my favoured rules are ones with a clogging rule and no speaker discretion because that makes the speaker completely non partisan so minimises conflict on the floor.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2015, 09:56:36 AM by Senator bore »

I'm against this. There is no anti clogging rule in the Northeast so even though clogging is annoying he has the right to do it. I proposed an anti clogging rule to prevent this in the future.

Plus, without Winfield, Adam woukd have far less to make a fuss about.

It's true that there's no de jure clogging law in the SOAP, but there is a de facto one, in that the speaker has discretion of what he puts in 2 out of the 3 non budget slots.

For what it's worth my favoured rules are ones with a clogging rule and no speaker discretion because that makes the speaker completely non partisan so minimises conflict on the floor.

I was under the impression that I had to put bills in slots in the order they appear on the legislation introduction thread -- so I had to go through all of Winfield's bills first before I got to another sponsor's bills. I know I accidentally skipped Thomas from NJ's bill but that was human error during the transition and I asked that he resubmit it.

Yeah, it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't know. Before I became speaker I had a rough understanding of how the rules had worked in the past and a few times I've been doing something only to find out a few weeks later that the rules are slightly different. Its not practicable to check the rules every time you open a vote or move bills on to the floor, so it's quite possible to assume something is the case and then find out later that the rules are different.

There was never speaker discretion back in my time in the assembly so it's quite a recent change and I think it's been very rarely or not at all used, because before this session there's never been an issue with one representative stopping others getting their bills. In fact, the opposite, more often than not, has been the case Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies