Georgia Supreme Court Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:03:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia Supreme Court Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia Supreme Court Election  (Read 420 times)
GAinDC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2024, 09:04:32 AM »

Anybody else following this race? John Barrah' is back, baby!

HOSCHTON, Ga. (AP) — May’s election for the Georgia Supreme Court is playing out as races for the state’s highest court have for decades: sitting justices running uncontested.

But there is an exception, and it’s driven by the issue that has roiled politics across the country for the past two years: abortion.

Justice Andrew Pinson is the only one of four incumbents seeking election to draw a challenge, and it’s a formidable one. Former U.S. Rep. John Barrow, a Democrat, hopes to harness a voter backlash to abortion restrictions to unseat Pinson in what could be a model for future Georgia court contests in a state that has become a partisan battleground.

The May 21 general election for a six-year term is nonpartisan, and a Barrow victory wouldn’t change the conservative leanings of the court. Eight of the nine justices, including Pinson, were appointed by Republican governors. The other won his seat unopposed after being appointed to a state appellate court by a Democratic governor.

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-supreme-court-abortion-2024-election-9c6a5a89117daca1e0260cec6538fecf

Yall think this race could be sleeper upset for Barrow?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 09:30:15 AM »

John Barrow was a pro-life Democrat in Congress. Weird.
GAinDC

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 09:39:27 AM »

He received a 100% from NARAL during his last term in Congress.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 01:46:33 PM »

I'm surprised it took this long to get a thread on it.

It could be a sleeper race given how special elections have gone. If Barrow does succeed (still a big if) I wonder if that will change peoples' perceptions about Georgia for the presidential race. It would be a pretty big deal.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 02:07:41 PM »

With no 'headline' races like senate or presidential primaries, this should be a low-turnout affair. Congressional primaries, which might drive turnout in a specific setting, Only really affect the GOP in GA-03 and the Dems maybe in GA-13. Turnout therefore is likely to determine the race more than anything else, and in what way will be interesting to see.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 03:15:59 PM »

I'm surprised Barrow is still relevant, tbh. It's been a decade since he left Congress and six years since his failed campaign for row office, and iirc he's been out of the public eye since then.
GAinDC

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 06:50:51 PM »

I think it’ll be an interesting race. Dems are trying to make it a proxy referendum on abortion rights, so I think the results will tell us how well that message resonates in a southern state.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:10:51 PM »

I've gotten a couple of mailers from Pinson, nothing from Barrow.
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:58:28 PM »

No mailers or texts at my place (north Cobb) from either candidate yet, but I have seen Pinson ads on TV. On my way to vote, I saw a bunch of signs for local candidates, but nothing for the Supreme Court races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies