most conservative dem? most liberal rep? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:09:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  most conservative dem? most liberal rep? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: most conservative dem? most liberal rep?  (Read 5435 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« on: March 25, 2005, 05:32:35 PM »

who is the most conservative democrat that has a *REALISTIC* shot at winning the nomination?

who is the most liberal republican that has a *REALISTIC* shot at the nomination?

Democrat- Ben Nelson of Nebraska

Republican- Giuliani

I don't expect either of these to win, but they have a realistic shot if the primary process and media attention go their way.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »

Democrat: Mark Warner
Republican: John McCain
Yeah, that is more realisitic, although I really think, if you look at records and past public stances, Giuliani is more liberal. He currently leads in many polls. Is it likely Giuliani would win, no, but is it unrealistic to think he could? No.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »

Oh yeah, Bredesen. How could I forget? Today's Tennessean had a top of the fold article: Bredesen basically has permission from the feds to cut 323,000 people off their govt health insurance. And they are basically the most expensive patients (ie those who are the sickest and least likely to get private insurance). Bredesen refuses to even consider a cigarette tax to keep some of these patients on TennCare.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:42:35 PM »

What are Bredesen's social stances? I kind of like him, but that may change.
Bredesen's social stances are to avoid social stances. The one comment I recall is that when dealing with the issue of abortion, Bredesen basically didn't take a position and said he'd let the legislature deal with it. So, he avoids these issues, which probably means he's more socially liberal than the state at large, which isn't saying much.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:18:50 PM »

Well, I was really writing in the context of agreeing that he is pretty conservative for a Democrat, the topic of the thread.

I agree with reform of TennCare, although I'm beginning to believe he's cutting the wrong people off. If we are to have a safety net it should be for those most in need and he seems to be keeping those who need an option for convenience, without charging them much for the privilege.(i.e. self-employed) Nor does he seem interested in charging a copay for doctor visits, which would help costs some, but more importantly, would deter people from going to the doctor for needless care. But I absolutely agree it needs reform. Paying for six monthly perscriptions is quite a fair limit, if not still excessive. TennCare is eating way too much of the state budget.

But his actions do make any hope of him being the Democratic nominee for pres pretty remote.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:31:38 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 11:33:55 PM by TCash101 »

By the way,  Bredesen has said that he is pro-choice, though he does go out of his way to push the issue.  Considering Governor's have little impact on the abortion debate, why agitate the opposition with such an issue.

You recently said to me:

he only problem, or at least the major problem that I have with moderates, is that they seem to lack 'the vision thing' as Bush 41 used to say.   Clearly conservatives like Dubya, and Reagan before him,  have a vision for where they want to take the country.  Likewise, liberals such as Feingold also have a vision for which direction they would like to take the country.  However, moderates often seem like status quo candidates without a compelling vision at all.  This may not be truly accurate, but perception plays a tremendous role in politics.  That's why both conservatives and liberals vie for the nations affection, while moderates seem to jump on the bandwagen of the philosphy that is winning the day. 

On social issues and protecting rights of women, gays, minorities, I agree with your statement that moderates lack the vision thing. Bredesen is "playing it safe" and protecting his own political ass as conservatives wage a war on rights in this state. He can cut wasteful govt spending, fine by me, but if he doesn't care to take sides in the social battles of the day, I have little use for him, especially in regards to seeking higher office.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 12:10:56 AM »

Maybe if we threw in something about a stripper and Alan Keyes??

Dem most likely to outlaw sex? Republican most likely to provide tax cuts for acts of oral sex...

There you go, discuss...
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:56 AM »

Tcash,

I've been out of the state for the last 4 months.  What campaign has the right waged against women, gays, and minorities during my absence?

An attempt to outlaw homosexuals from adopting, continued efforts to outlaw abortion, and to further outlaw gay marriage, even though it is already outlawed, I guess just to say, "Yeah, we still hate gays a lot. Just don't forget it."

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 12:49:28 AM »

Wow!  The right wing has been very busy in my absence.  Where has the left been, MIA?

Elected left? I didn't know we had that in Tenn. Well, Sen Cohen is up in arms because Bredesen wants to spend "excess" lottery dollars on Pre-K, Cohen prefers the "scholarships" raised to $4k rather than 3. Sen Ford is in trouble (as he should be) due to umpteen ethical lapses, and the Repubs seem to be backing off a bit, some say due to their own ethical lapses and Ford's comment in a letter to Sen. Ramsey that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. We'll see. I don't think they'll leave it alone as there's too much populist pressure. There have been tons of TennCare protests, including many in the religious left of Nashville.

Senate '06: Hilleary, Halteman Harwell, Corker, and Bryant seemed poised to go after the GOP nod for Senate. Ford Jr and liberal St Sen Rosalind Kurita will vie for the Dem nom. I haven't heard of anyone willing to challenge Bredesen for gov.

That's the basics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies