The Specter of a Liberal Coup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:40:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Specter of a Liberal Coup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Specter of a Liberal Coup  (Read 1365 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 12, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »

For a liberal coup to happen, the Democrats are going to need an opening to seize power from a disastrous Republican administration that makes Trump’s look like an age of Camelot. Given our politics resembles a mix of Egypt and Brazil, that requires a first overthrow first, like with the Morsi government/Operation Coupwash Carwash.

I seriously doubt it man, if we get to that stage I don’t see us getting over that cleanly and not already being in a state of civil war.

A Civil War that takes place in the world's most powerful nation will eventually envelop the most of the world. A coup at home might be a bigger existential threat to "civilization" than the current war in Ukraine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 02:44:02 PM »

I think more likely than a "liberal coup" is a Chile-style scenario of conservative overreach leading to popular street protests that force some sort of constitutional reset.

Would that be enough?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 08:46:29 PM »

For a liberal coup to happen, the Democrats are going to need an opening to seize power from a disastrous Republican administration that makes Trump’s look like an age of Camelot. Given our politics resembles a mix of Egypt and Brazil, that requires a first overthrow first, like with the Morsi government/Operation Coupwash Carwash.

I seriously doubt it man, if we get to that stage I don’t see us getting over that cleanly and not already being in a state of civil war.

A Civil War that takes place in the world's most powerful nation will eventually envelop the most of the world. A coup at home might be a bigger existential threat to "civilization" than the current war in Ukraine.
I highly doubt many will want to get involved in our domestic quagmire in the first place, and that includes most of NATO, but even still I wouldn’t be too concerned of the final outcome given that if Syria could survive I can bet we will too.

And though I am now more at ease that Russia would still be beaten back by the EU, I am not so sure that Japan, Taiwan, Australia, and Korea could effectively stand up against the PRC. The United States collapsing would be the international politics of the Chicxulub asteroid. Maybe the damage would be minimized if one party quickly stabilized things and the other took to the hills, bush, and trees.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »

I'm not so sure the Air Force is "to the right of" the Army as an institution, although I agree on the relative placement of the Marine Corps and the Navy. Perhaps it depends on what part of the country one is in, but I've always perceived the Air Force as having a similar overall political culture to the Navy, just with a vocal far-right minority that the Navy mostly lacks.

The Air Force Academy is right outside Colorado Springs, which has resulted in a much higher proportion of right-wing religious nutbars in the Air Force officer corps than the other services have.

But didn't El Paso county pull a reverse of Dade county. That is, a formally 2:1 county is becoming only a bare preponderance of a majority.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »

It was the exact concept I cited in my emails to Richard Burr and Thom Tillis after January 6th. That once such a situation is allowed to be entertained it gives license to others to consider it and maybe even do it if the opportunity presents itself.

The chance rises that a successful practice of extralegal politics will come to pass each time that power is perceived to be abused and new opportunities continuing politics extralegally are made available.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies