State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:25:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3  (Read 136476 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« on: November 08, 2019, 04:30:46 PM »

A Democrat winning MO HD99 is rather surprising. I don't think that area has ever elected a Democrat before, at least, not in the last few decades. If there was any district in SW St. Louis County that would elect a Democrat, it would be 99, and most of the other adjacent districts that surround it are more heavily Republican than 99. A year ago the incumbent won re-election with only 53%, but two years before that she won her first election with 58%, while the district voted for Trump by a margin of only 5 percentage points and in general supported the Republican ticket by about 10 percentage points. In 2014, the district re-elected an incumbent Republican with 63.5%, and two years before that it voted for him by 59%, while generally supporting the Republican ticket by about 10 percentage points. So this is a big win for the Democrats. It's hard to say whether this Democrat can win a whole term next year.

And the trends continue. I'm actually wondering how the WOW counties will look like in WI next year.

If 2018 results are any indication.. pretty bad for Democrats but I am thinking the Democrat could pass 40% in Ozaukee County.

Wisconsin is bucking the "trends" slightly but it could royally suck for Democrats if Trump does as well in 2020 as 2016 in driftless and WOW does not move.

HD-99 contains Manchester, one of the tony suburbs in West St. Louis County notable for its strip malls which stretch for miles along Manchester as well as Valley Park, a more middle class Meramec River suburb that is protected by a big 'ole army corps of engineers levee. That it is now represented by a Democrat is frankly insane, but that's suburban trends for you.

It is insane especially since it was not that long ago that it was being discussed that Democrats needed to win seats in the lead belt and northern Missouri to break the GOP supermajority. Now it is clear we can break the supermajority in the suburbs. We have some room to grow locally on both sides of the state.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »

Final unofficial results:

VA-HD-02:

Candi P. M. King (D)
4,386    51.49%

Heather F. Mitchell  (R)
4,123    48.40%

Does not mean democrats are doomed in the VA elections of 2021.. but all the more reason to not take a risk in the gubernatorial primary!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »

A sample size of 2 elections is not very good, but these two elections would suggest a GOP blowout.
Let’s hope for more data soon.

I would not worry too much about the VA HD 02 Special Election. Very few voters even knew there was an election occurring.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 02:55:50 AM »

Uh... that connecticut result is not exactly proving my theory that college whites will switch en masse to the GOP now..

The Democrats barely won that area in 2018 and 2020 down ballot and now barely lost in in a far worse environment for Democrats.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:22 AM »

HD 35 was my old district when I lived in Nova. I doubt many people even knew an election was going on.

Candi King won handily in Nov 2021 despite a close call in a January special election in 2021 for HD-02.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 11:55:21 AM »

I am unsure whether MI or VA will vote further left in 2024.

MI did have better overall results than VA the past couple of years, but VA did vote to the left of Michigan in the house vote.

2021 was really state specific issues along with the fact that NoVa was never going to vote like a major urban city county.

Can't wait for 2025 when the Democrats do just a bit better than 2021 in Nova but much better in Richmond and Hampton Roads and win the governorship.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 12:20:32 PM »

In little known special elections the online right can enjoy their temporary fantasy land of Nova being a Republican/Swing area.

The general election results makes complete sense for generic candidates in that district.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »

The evidence is piling up that Illinois and Colorado will vote to the left of New York in 2024. With the caveat about special election quirkiness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies