Registration of Political Parties Act (Debate Open) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:50:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Registration of Political Parties Act (Debate Open) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Registration of Political Parties Act (Debate Open)  (Read 3495 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 20, 2008, 03:20:47 AM »

Don't we still have a minimum membership requirement for the SoFA to recognize a political party?  Like somewhere around three or four members?

It's set in the Constitution as 5 members.
That's for providing any benefits from being a party to parties.
Not sure this thing here is supposed to accomplish anything; not sure it's constitutional. Need...to...do...research.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:57:18 AM »

Bump. Research results and (probably) amendment tomorrow.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:33:17 AM »

This is Article V, Section 1, Clause 8 of our worthy Constitution:

"Any political party of five or more members is considered to be an organized political party. The benefits of being an organized political party may be determined by the Senate by appropriate legislation."

Section 1 is clearly unconstitutional insofar as it applies to parties of five members or above*. Section 2 is similar to earlier proposals not to list minor parties on the ballot, ie to list one-man-parties as Independents - an issue I couldn't care less about either way, and that doesn't even require a law - it can be addressed by SoFAs by amending the Candidate Regulations (unless I overlooked something). It goes further by making it impossible to join a party before the elections just in order to mislead uninformed voters (although I wonder if any of our voters can be misled by that. For order of lower pref.s maybe.) or just to rile that party's members.
I don't see the need in that, but I don't see the harm either. I see the constitutional isse with the official contact in case of recognized parties that don't have one (but have over 5 members, whether grandfathered ones under Section 3 or new ones because Section 1 is unconstitutional), though. And I see the critical issue of the *timing* of contacts' declarations. Absentee Voting Booths open right upon the Candidate Declaration Deadline, and parties typically hold primaries (if they bother with them) after the Candidate Declaration Deadline. The Supreme Court, in its infinite wisdom whatever has recently ruled that ... strike that. I haven't the slightest clue what they ruled exactly. I don't think they do, either. ... anyhow, they found that absentee voters have a right to broadly - but not exactly - the same information as regular voters. (Rant suppressed. I'd really like to see Sam's promised concurrence one day, though)
Not that this bill even states that the declarations have to be made before the regular vote opens.

So, bottom line: Badly drafted bill. No idea how to rectify, exactly. No pressing need, either. Kill.

I motion to table this legislation.

*weird aside: it is worth noting that membership in a political party is not defined in the Constitution or afaik anywhere in law, though - what the SoFA keeps a count of is technically a person's "political affiliation": Article V, Section II, Clause 1 and, with the same wording, the VIth Amendment, state "In registration, the person must state their name** and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation". However, the two concepts have been commonly held to be identical.
**I've always marvelled at the idiotic *requirement* to restate your name, btw. Thankfully, precedent has largely been to ignore it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:16:53 AM »

Unless it has been done recently and I missed it, before any type of reform involving parties takes place, a Constitutional Amendment to remove the previously mentioned clause must be passed.
Nyes. There is some limited scope of reform as it stands... but the kind of reform most people who want reform have in mind seems not to be of that type.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »

Where is my vote?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »

Sorry, I didn't see it there. I had a long backlog of stuff that needed to get done.
Not a problem.

Only reason I didn't complain earlier is I wasn't sure if tabling motions need seconding. I only got around to looking it up when you started Torie's vote. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies