A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 07:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come?  (Read 1842 times)
rob in cal
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »

With all the talk about white privilege, institutional racism etc etc, I'm wondering about how liberals on this board feel about instituting a white privilege tax (I'm assuming no conservative would support it).  Such a tax could be a modest addition to one's income tax liability. For instance if someone owed 2,500 dollars in federal income tax, a white tax payer could pay an extra 5 or 10% of that figure.  If a white tax payer was so privileged that they didn't owe any federal income tax, then perhaps they could have a 5 or 10% reduction in whatever refund/credit that they would have otherwise received.
   Some other avenues might be a reduction in food stamp benefits if they went to a white household, or perhaps an extra property tax assessment on white homeowners.  Anyway, it would be intriguing and full of political drama to see attempts to get such measures passed in liberal enclaves. Perhaps a place full of white left-of center voters like Boulder, Madison or Portland Oregon might be a nice place to try and get such an idea rolling on the municipal level.
   Of course there would be many whites who would try to get exemptions. Jews might try to opt out, saying only WASP's should be so treated, but that of course would open up the whole white Catholic and white Eastern European can of worms, with people trotting out their personal impoverished ancestors tales, perhaps a pogrom escape story, maybe some discussion of fleeing servitude in Russia or Austria-Hungary, fleeing the draft in Prussia (my family's case), or various other attempts to cast a more nuanced look at the whole white privilege issue.  
   Personally though, I think its a discussion worth having, and it would give people a chance to really put their money where there mouth is.
rob in cal
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »

Oh, I would certainly oppose it, but would be intrigued about how it would play out among the left, with some perhaps arguing that it would represent a more muscular, fiscally inclusive form of affirmative action.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies