NY-24: Trump offers to endorse Katko primary challenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-24: Trump offers to endorse Katko primary challenger
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-24: Trump offers to endorse Katko primary challenger  (Read 852 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2021/06/donald-trump-offers-to-back-challenger-to-rep-john-katko-he-is-bad-news.html

THANK YOU MR. TRUMP!!!!!

In all seriousness, I think Katko might win despite this, but this definitely raises the chances of his getting primaried, which would be a godsend for the Democrats during redistricting. Also, apologies, I couldn't find a preexisting NY-24 thread.

(Trump also appears to think he "won big" here, which... no?)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 02:24:58 PM »

Makes the 23-3 map more likely.
Pink Panther

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »

Although a Trump endorsement in the modern GOP is still OP, Katko may have a strong enough political brand to survive the primary(he might be the only pro-impeachment Republican to not get censored or reprimanded by any state or local party, though I could be wrong). Interesting to watch what will happen next, though.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »

Lol, yeah, great. Primary Katko with a Trumper. See how that plays in this Biden +9 district. In that scenario, honestly pretty easy to see this district flipping even in a 2014 style GOP wave.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »

Of course he does.

However, I'm not sure it woud sell the deal for the opponent as Katko seems to have a strong local brand. And since this is a district Biden won easily, a far-right nutjob would lose the seat.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 04:55:08 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 05:00:32 PM by Storr »

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2021/06/donald-trump-offers-to-back-challenger-to-rep-john-katko-he-is-bad-news.html

THANK YOU MR. TRUMP!!!!!

In all seriousness, I think Katko might win despite this, but this definitely raises the chances of his getting primaried, which would be a godsend for the Democrats during redistricting. Also, apologies, I couldn't find a preexisting NY-24 thread.

(Trump also appears to think he "won big" here, which... no?)
That's what I was wondering since NY-24 is a Hilary-Biden district. Trump probably assumes since it's upstate New York that he "won big" there . If local Republicans are dumb enough to do this, it's fine with me.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »

Well I guess it will be Tenney right? NY dems will likely merge the two districts
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 12:15:50 AM »

Great idea to replace the only moderate republican who can win in a Biden +9 district with an unelectable Trumper
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 01:32:23 AM »

Great idea to replace the only moderate republican who can win in a Biden +9 district with an unelectable Trumper

Well, what did you expect from that guy? All he cares about is his own feelings, and he will go after anyone who hurts his feelings even slightly, regardless of the potential political consequences of such actions (IMO, such actions are responsible for driving people like Jeff Flake, Dean Heller, Mark Sanford, etc. out of Congress).
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 10:18:03 AM »

Ask Luther Strange how effective Trump's endorsement is.

Like Romney said, endorsements are not worth a thimble of spit.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 11:40:49 AM »

If it is only an endorsement, I would agree with that. However, if he goes to upstate NY and holds rallies for Kakto's challenger, I could certainly see that having an impact.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »

I feel like Trump is going to be pressured to stay out of this one.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »

Well, what did you expect from that guy? All he cares about is his own feelings, and he will go after anyone who hurts his feelings even slightly, regardless of the potential political consequences of such actions (IMO, such actions are responsible for driving people like Jeff Flake, Dean Heller, Mark Sanford, etc. out of Congress).
Yeah I know, what I don't understand about the ""populist"" wing of the GOP is that they think we need Trumpers in all districts but we need moderates in swing/lean D districts/states, you can't have a Trumper in Maine or in a D+5 district
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 05:53:49 PM »

If it is only an endorsement, I would agree with that. However, if he goes to upstate NY and holds rallies for Kakto's challenger, I could certainly see that having an impact.
Trump wants vengeance against the Republicans who voted for impeachment. He will campaign against all of them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 08:07:03 PM »

He might have been doomed anyway if he gets a more Democratic district. But still, I welcome Trump to self-sabotage his party. Maybe it will give Democrats a chance in 2022 after all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies