Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Barack Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barack Obama  (Read 2411 times)
Hermit
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »

Did you see Barack Obama as the Keynote speaker at the DNC? His speech was pretty darn good, and mostly positive, not like the attack speeches both sides have been spouting so much lately. It's basically a sure thing that he'll become the first black senator since Reconstruction, and his star is definately on the rise. What do ya'll think?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »

He was great, even if I didn't agree with him on some issues. Very promising.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »

It was better than good.  It was as good a political speech as I've ever seen.  I'm not sure the Republicans will even field a candidate against him.
Hermit
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:55:17 PM »

It was better than good.  It was as good a political speech as I've ever seen.  I'm not sure the Republicans will even field a candidate against him.
The Republican who was running against him dropped out due to some kind of scandal, no?
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 04:55:49 PM »

yes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 05:26:58 PM »

He was losing by like 20 points in the polls anyway, Obama still would have won.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 05:48:31 PM »

If Salazar and Obama win, I think it would be the first time we had two black senators at the same time.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 07:16:07 PM »

It's basically a sure thing that he'll become the first black senator since Reconstruction...

Edward Brooke (R) of MA was in the Senate in the '60s and /or '70s. He was black.
... And defeated after 2 terms by then Congressman Paul Tsongas. When Tsongas chose not to run for reelection his seat was won by then Lt. Gov. John Kerry.
Hermit
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 07:42:03 PM »

It's basically a sure thing that he'll become the first black senator since Reconstruction...

Edward Brooke (R) of MA was in the Senate in the '60s and /or '70s. He was black. Not to mention Carol Mosely-Braun (D) of IL who was in the Senate in the '90s. Black and female. Doesn't look like Obama blazes any new trail.
Hmm, it appears you're right. That's very odd, all I've heard is "Third black man in the Senate ever" "First in almost 150 years", etc etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 07:58:09 PM »

If Salazar and Obama win, I think it would be the first time we had two black senators at the same time.

Salazar is Hispanic, not black.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 07:00:16 AM »

Edward Brooke (R) of MA was in the Senate in the '60s and /or '70s. He was black. Not to mention Carol Mosely-Braun (D) of IL who was in the Senate in the '90s. Black and female. Doesn't look like Obama blazes any new trail.
Hmm, it appears you're right. That's very odd, all I've heard is "Third black man in the Senate ever" "First in almost 150 years", etc etc.
He'd still be the first Black Democratic Man in the senate since the 1880s! Smiley
kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 07:15:37 AM »

Some site I saw decided to word it as the first black senator from Illinois since Carol Moseley Braun.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make that sound less impressive.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 07:52:58 AM »

How about just saying "only the third Black Senator since Reconstruction"? Entirely true, duly impressive.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 08:24:40 PM »

Barack Obama seems like an attractive candidate.

It's interesting that liberals have adopted the "one drop" rule by calling him black.  He actually has a black father and a white mother, which makes him just as much white as he is black.

I favor this type of intermarriage because it will eventually show us how absurd our current thinking, which requires that we put everybody into a racial and ethnic box, is.

Much of the politics of racial and ethnic (and now gender) identification pushed by the left is little more than the old apartheid politics turned on its head.  It's not a break from the past, but simply the same bad thing in a slightly different form.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 08:38:25 PM »

It's interesting that liberals have adopted the "one drop" rule by calling him black.  He actually has a black father and a white mother, which makes him just as much white as he is black.

I favor this type of intermarriage because it will eventually show us how absurd our current thinking, which requires that we put everybody into a racial and ethnic box, is.

Much of the politics of racial and ethnic (and now gender) identification pushed by the left is little more than the old apartheid politics turned on its head.  It's not a break from the past, but simply the same bad thing in a slightly different form.
I agree, and the French have this part of human rights correct. The government has no need to ask citizens their ethnicity, let alone make policies that distinguish among the ethnicity of the residents.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 10:56:14 PM »

I agree, and the French have this part of human rights correct. The government has no need to ask citizens their ethnicity, let alone make policies that distinguish among the ethnicity of the residents.

And neither does the society.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 06:45:58 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2004, 06:47:07 AM by Laloo Prasad »

Well, the standard definition of "Black" in the US has been, more exactly, "at least part Black" ever since the abolution of slavery.
While in Jamaica, people as white as Colin Powell, Bob Marley or Barrack Obama are, in everyday speech, referred to as "Whites".
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 06:52:48 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2004, 06:53:19 AM by dazzleman »

Well, the standard definition of "Black" in the US has been, more exactly, "at least part Black" ever since the abolution of slavery.
While in Jamaica, people as white as Colin Powell, Bob Marley or Barrack Obama are, in everyday speech, referred to as "Whites".

That definition of "black" was designed by virulent racists who considered a person with any black lineage at all to be contaminated.

And yet this definition has effectively been embraced by many blacks themselves and those who claim to sympathize with them.

A big part of the problem with the current "civil rights" movement is that it is composed of very small minds, unable to really think beyond the patterns of the past.  They simply repackage the ridiculous old thinking in a slightly different form, and think that is the answer to their problems.  In reality, they have only succeeded in perpetuating the problems.
raggage

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 06:52:58 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2004, 06:54:42 AM by raggage »

Did not the GOP do that with General Powell. From memory he is part Jamaican.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 07:11:34 AM »

Did not the GOP do that with General Powell. From memory he is part Jamaican.
And obviously, visibly, way more White than Black.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2004, 07:16:04 AM »

That definition of "black" was designed by virulent racists who considered a person with any black lineage at all to be contaminated.
That is true, yes.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The point, though, is that race is, in practice, a sociological concept and not a genetical one. People are "Black" or "White" because they are usually viewed as "Black" or "White" not because of where all their ancestors came from.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think this statement is borne out by a fair comparison between America now and America in 1950.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2004, 01:16:44 PM »

Hey!
Nobody called me on the fact that, as the son of a White American and an African immigrant, Obama can hardly count as a standard American Black as he's not a descendant of the slaves!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies