Comstock v Warner 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Comstock v Warner 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comstock v Warner 2020  (Read 1323 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2018, 06:46:36 AM »

If Comstock somehow got re-elected do you think she would challenge Warner in 2020? I think she is the only republican capable of mounting a credible campaign against him. Especially if she were to win in this year.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

Could she challenge Warner? I suppose. Would she win? Not a chance, Virginia is a blue state now and Trump being on the ballot would mean any Republican challenger, including Comstock, would be DOA.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:57:44 AM »

Comstock wouldn't survive a primary against some EW Jackson-like nutjob.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

Peak Atlas right here. Moderate D vs Moderate R.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »

Peak Atlas right here. Moderate D vs Moderate R.

Comstock isn't a moderate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »

If the wave fails and she sees Trump getting re-elected by winning Va, she may step in, barring that, its a no go.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »

This is pretty much a moot point, as Comstock is virtually DOA. VA-10 is an automatic pickup for the dems.
My uncle is a conservative who lives in Comstock's district, and he can't stand her. She's alienated what little of the Republican base remains there, and she isn't going to get many dem crossover votes this time around. No one in her district really loves Comstock, and Wexton seems like a good candidate. She was already in grave danger before Confederate Corey came along; now, she just doesn't stand a chance.
Of the two VA senators, Warner is definitely the weaker incumbent, but I don't see any way he loses in a presidential election year. I don't think anyone can beat him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:06 PM »

Comstock might as well have just run against Kaine this year. It would've been an extreme long shot regardless, but at least a Senate seat is a much bigger potential prize in the event of a miracle than a House seat.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »

Scott Taylor would be better for the gop
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »

Comstock might as well have just run against Kaine this year. It would've been an extreme long shot regardless, but at least a Senate seat is a much bigger potential prize in the event of a miracle than a House seat.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:31 AM »

The GOP is done in VA unless the Dems 1) nominate a completely terrible candidate or 2) a GOP wave comes around.

Neither of those will happen in 2020, so she will not challenge and if she did, she would not win.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »

You've lost that centrist feeling, cause you've been right wing appealing, now its gone, gone gone...
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »

This is pretty much a moot point, as Comstock is virtually DOA. VA-10 is an automatic pickup for the dems.
My uncle is a conservative who lives in Comstock's district, and he can't stand her. She's alienated what little of the Republican base remains there, and she isn't going to get many dem crossover votes this time around. No one in her district really loves Comstock, and Wexton seems like a good candidate. She was already in grave danger before Confederate Corey came along; now, she just doesn't stand a chance.
Of the two VA senators, Warner is definitely the weaker incumbent, but I don't see any way he loses in a presidential election year. I don't think anyone can beat him.

Isn’t it kind of wild how quickly Warner became the weaker out of him and Kaine? For a long time he was Virginia’s political titan
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »

Isn’t it kind of wild how quickly Warner became the weaker out of him and Kaine? For a long time he was Virginia’s political titan

I actually am not sure if Kaine would’ve survived the 2014 wave. There is a he argument that a Warner ran a somewhat lazy campaign that year that Kaine might not have done, but I don’t think Kaine would’ve enjoyed the ten or so extra points that Warner’s personal popularity gave him in coal country relative to Obama’s and McAuliffe’s performances

That’s a fair point
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »

Yeah, the GOP is toast in Virginia. Comstock, Brat, and Taylor are finished and even if Riggleman wins in 2018 he’ll go down in 2020 for sure. And I think Wittman could fall in 2020 though Cline and Griffith could still hold on.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »

If the wave fails and she sees Trump getting re-elected by winning Va, she may step in, barring that, its a no go.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »

Comstock have not chances for victory
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »

If she wants to embarrass herself twice.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 01:53:02 PM »

Come on Ed or Corey, give it one more try!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

Well Kaine and Stewart just got into a heated debate last night.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »

Comstock is likely going to be irrelevant by 2020.  What she really needed was a President Clinton, so she could run in the 2017 special after Kaine became VP.  Between odd year turnout, super-energized Republicans, and senate control possibly being at stake, she would likely have been favored. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »

Bobby Scott could of beaten Comstock
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »

I actually am not sure if Kaine would’ve survived the 2014 wave. There is a he argument that a Warner ran a somewhat lazy campaign that year that Kaine might not have done, but I don’t think Kaine would’ve enjoyed the ten or so extra points that Warner’s personal popularity gave him in coal country relative to Obama’s and McAuliffe’s performances

Meh. I think you're letting 2001/2008 cloud your judgements on 2014. Warner 2014 and Kaine 2012 look pretty similar in that area of the state. And, no, I don't think that has anything to do with Obama being on the ballot in 2012.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies