Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: What's your stance on abortion?
Abortion should be legal and federally funded

Abortion should be legal, but not federally funded

Abortion should not be legal and should not be federally funded

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 9838 times)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »

Not only make it illegal, but enforce it with real penalties.

At the same time do more to assist pregnant woman and do more to teach about safe sex so people don't get pregnant in the first place.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »

option 1. anything else is completely unacceptable.
General White
Vegetaboi
Rookie
United Arab Emirates

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: 2.75

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »

All abortions should be banded even for rape. I dont know how anyone could support Abortion its pure evil.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »

All abortions should be banded even for rape. I dont know how anyone could support Abortion its pure evil.

i don't know how you could support forcing women to carry a rapist's child.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »

I only think some abortions should be banded, personally.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Do you support a woman's right to smother her rapist's child (that she birthed) in it's crib? If the fetus is human the whole rape question is irrelevant.
General White
Vegetaboi
Rookie
United Arab Emirates

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »

That child has a right to live. Two wrongs dont make it a right. So punish the child for what the rapist did?.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »

To me an abortion should be avoided at all costs, but the choice comes down to the mother, the mother alone and whenever she wants to make the decisions. if she needs federal funding I have no problem with the government giving the help. 
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:36 AM »

Option 2. It's a woman's issue - you come to me when you can push an eight-pound bowling ball out the end of your dick, you can have an opinion on abortion.

Nonetheless, I would prefer if it were funded at the state level, or charitably.
Link
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

Legal and federally funded.  Excising a fetus is expensive, yall.

Expensive it may be, but why would others want to pay for it?

Questions?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »

Do you support a woman's right to smother her rapist's child (that she birthed) in it's crib? If the fetus is human the whole rape question is irrelevant.

That child has a right to live. Two wrongs dont make it a right. So punish the child for what the rapist did?.

you seem confused. fetuses aren't equivalent to living, breathing human beings anymore than seeds are equivalent to a tree.

this debate isn't about whether abortions should happen though. it's about whether they should be legal and as safe for the mother as possible, or whether they should be illegal and result in women dying due to unsafe backalley abortions. and then, if they do survive, you propose a life sentence for murder on top of that? if you seriously believe fetuses are full human beings, you'd be quite prepared to give women life sentences or even the death penalty, but the fact is very few people actually believe that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

you seem confused. fetuses aren't equivalent to living, breathing human beings anymore than seeds are equivalent to a tree.

this debate isn't about whether abortions should happen though. it's about whether they should be legal and as safe for the mother as possible, or whether they should be illegal and result in women dying due to unsafe backalley abortions. and then, if they do survive, you propose a life sentence for murder on top of that? if you seriously believe fetuses are full human beings, you'd be quite prepared to give women life sentences or even the death penalty, but the fact is very few people actually believe that.

The crimes aren't equivalent. Having an abortion is akin to hiring a hitman.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

Wouldn't that make women who receive abortions accessories to murder?
General White
Vegetaboi
Rookie
United Arab Emirates

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2012, 12:07:51 AM by General White »

A fetus is a baby. Getting a abortion just to "make your life easyier" is the same as murder like DC Al Fine says its the same as hiring a hitman. getting a abortion in any case is wrong period they should be put in jail for getting a abortion.

Abortion is sick,disgusting,and evil how it is legalized in this society is disgusting. It should be banded in all cases except to save the life of the mother.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »

I consider myself to be solidly pro-choice, supporting President Clinton's "safe, legal, and rare" approach and the decision in Roe v. Wade. I will admit that I do find myself morally opposed to it personally, but I think the ultimate decision is the woman's and that she should have the choice with respect to her own body. With that said, I can't say that I support federal funding for abortion expect in specific cases (i.e. health/life of mother, incest, rape). In any other case, I think it's an elective procedure and I tend not to support coverage in many of those instances. On the other hand, I am vehemently opposed to Republican efforts to defund Planned Parenthood despite the possibility of federal funds going to abortion. That is completely unacceptable to me.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »

A fetus is a baby. Getting a abortion just to "make your life easyier" is the same as murder like DC Al Fine says its the same as hiring a hitman. getting a abortion in any case is wrong period they should be put in jail for getting a abortion.

Abortion is sick,disgusting,and evil how it is legalized in this society is disgusting. It should be banded in all cases except to save the life of the mother.

yeah, because aborting a fetus after a rapist sexually attacked you is so selfish.

i find it sick, disgusting and evil how so many people on this website can justify nationalizing wombs because they hate women.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »

How can you murder something that isn't alive?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »

i find it sick, disgusting and evil how so many people on this website can justify nationalizing wombs because they hate women.

I find it sick, disgusting, and evil how so many people on this website believe that those who are strongly anti-abortion are that way solely because they hate women rather than because they love human life.  Cut back on the demonization, will you?  Just because their definition of human life is not objective fact does not make yours an objective fact either.  I don't think those on either side of the debate would say that if a human life were not being terminated abortion should be prevented, nor would they say that if a human life were being terminated then abortion should not be casually allowed.  However, neither side agrees on whether a human life is involved, which is what all the hoo-haa is about.

If you want to demonize the anti-abortion people here over what you perceive as their misguided definition of human life, go ahead.  But to attribute it to misogyny only coarsens the conversation and causes the people I presume you are trying to convince to tune you out.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »

I find it sick, disgusting, and evil how so many people on this website believe that those who are strongly anti-abortion are that way solely because they hate women rather than because they love human life.  Cut back on the demonization, will you?  Just because their definition of human life is not objective fact does not make yours an objective fact either.  I don't think those on either side of the debate would say that if a human life were not being terminated abortion should be prevented, nor would they say that if a human life were being terminated then abortion should not be casually allowed.  However, neither side agrees on whether a human life is involved, which is what all the hoo-haa is about.

If you want to demonize the anti-abortion people here over what you perceive as their misguided definition of human life, go ahead.  But to attribute it to misogyny only coarsens the conversation and causes the people I presume you are trying to convince to tune you out.

i never said it was an objective fact. what i pointed out was that they're prepared to making living, conscious human beings suffer rather than get rid of something which isn't alive and is only the potential for human life. if that offends you, i'm sorry, but it disgusts me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »

i never said it was an objective fact. what i pointed out was that they're prepared to making living, conscious human beings suffer rather than get rid of something which isn't alive and is only the potential for human life. if that offends you, i'm sorry, but it disgusts me.

I see you're still begging the question.  Those who oppose abortion in all cases don't agree with you.  From their viewpoint, you are advocating allowing the murder of a child in order to alleviate some suffering on the part of the mother.  Now which is worse, causing some suffering, or murder?  So attributing their desire to prohibit abortion to a hatred of women is ridiculous as there is no need for them to hate women to be against abortion.

I'm not offended by your strong support for choice.  I'm offended by you maligning the motives of those who disagree with you without any merit to your charge.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »

I see you're still begging the question.  Those who oppose abortion in all cases don't agree with you.  From their viewpoint, you are advocating allowing the murder of a child in order to alleviate some suffering on the part of the mother.  Now which is worse, causing some suffering, or murder?  So attributing their desire to prohibit abortion to a hatred of women is ridiculous as there is no need for them to hate women to be against abortion.

I'm not offended by your strong support for choice.  I'm offended by you maligning the motives of those who disagree with you without any merit to your charge.

Hear Hear!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Guys... it isn't all disputable that a fetus is alive. Anyone with a vague understanding of life science can agree on that. Now, whether or not that life is a human life can be disputed (what is a "human"?).

Actually I think the ideological construction of oppose abortion with a rape exception is more problematic than banning it altogether in terms of how women should interpret it if that is your actual policy goal rather than a position taken out of political expedience because if you acknowledge abortion is killing a person then you can't really want a rape exception. If abortion isn't killing a person, then why would you want it to be illegal? In our political arena it comes across the opposite way because the Democrats have found harnessing the fear of being raped to gather female votes (not that a handful of Republicans like Akin have tried very hard to make this difficult for them).
General White
Vegetaboi
Rookie
United Arab Emirates

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

yeah, because aborting a fetus after a rapist sexually attacked you is so selfish.

Its sick and disgusting how YOU want to punish a baby for the evils of the rapists. So its the babies fault that the woman was raped? pure evil. Abortion is complete evil in every case.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 04:22:52 PM by windis »

Its sick and disgusting how YOU want to punish a baby for the evils of the rapists. So its the babies fault that the woman was raped? pure evil. Abortion is complete evil in every case.

this is beginning to sound disturbingly similiar to jewcon's "logic" that the fetus's life is worth more than the mothers. if you'd rather see a woman die than let her have an abortion to save her life due to your own ideology, then i'm afraid the only word for that sort of mindset is "sick".
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 04:46:19 PM by windis »

I find it sick, disgusting, and evil how so many people on this website believe that those who are strongly anti-abortion are that way solely because they hate women rather than because they love human life.  Cut back on the demonization, will you?  Just because their definition of human life is not objective fact does not make yours an objective fact either.  I don't think those on either side of the debate would say that if a human life were not being terminated abortion should be prevented, nor would they say that if a human life were being terminated then abortion should not be casually allowed.  However, neither side agrees on whether a human life is involved, which is what all the hoo-haa is about.

If you want to demonize the anti-abortion people here over what you perceive as their misguided definition of human life, go ahead.  But to attribute it to misogyny only coarsens the conversation and causes the people I presume you are trying to convince to tune you out.

I see you're still begging the question.  Those who oppose abortion in all cases don't agree with you.  From their viewpoint, you are advocating allowing the murder of a child in order to alleviate some suffering on the part of the mother.  Now which is worse, causing some suffering, or murder?  So attributing their desire to prohibit abortion to a hatred of women is ridiculous as there is no need for them to hate women to be against abortion.

I'm not offended by your strong support for choice.  I'm offended by you maligning the motives of those who disagree with you without any merit to your charge.

it doesn't matter what they believe. if they are so anti-abortion, they don't have to have one. but they have to infringe on other people's rights too. trying to control women's bodies smacks quite heavily of sexism to me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies