Amazon Web Services: The Future of Computing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:28:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Amazon Web Services: The Future of Computing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amazon Web Services: The Future of Computing?  (Read 493 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »

SEATTLE — Within a few years, Amazon.com’s creative destruction of both traditional book publishing and retailing may be footnotes to the company’s larger and more secretive goal: giving anyone on the planet access to an almost unimaginable amount of computing power.

Every day, a start-up called the Climate Corporation performs over 10,000 simulations of the next two years’ weather for more than one million locations in the United States. It then combines that with data on root structure and soil porosity to write crop insurance for thousands of farmers.

Each of these start-ups carries out computing tasks that a decade ago would have been impossible without a major investment in computers. Both of these companies, however, own little besides a few desktop computers. They and thousands of other companies now rent data storage and computer server time from Amazon, through its Amazon Web Services division, for what they say is a fraction of the cost of owning and running their own computers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/technology/active-in-cloud-amazon-reshapes-computing.html?hpw
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

The company I work for uses Amazon's services - it's really great stuff. You can scale as needed quite easily.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

That's exciting. And very interesting, I'm definitely going to look more into this today.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

Cloud computing is great at all levels.  Google has really streamlined my personal needs.  I hardly ever open anything other than web browser anymore.   
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »

Follow up article:

Job Openings at Amazon Web Services Reveal Its Future

(P.S. if you ever run into the NY Times firewall, just remove the query string from the URL)

"In an article published Tuesday in The New York Times, I noted that Amazon Web Services currently lists 600 job openings...

When I checked the listings in July, there were a few openings for people needed to work on the computing side of the Silk Web browser, which comes loaded in Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. Now there are 27.

Silk has always seemed interesting because it is a browser that splits computational tasks between a local computer and the cloud. Based on this typical job description Amazon is getting ready for Silk to do a lot more than just have it load books onto Kindles. The ad asks: “Imagine the possibilities when a Web browser is powered by a vast, scalable server fleet, massive network connections, and limitless storage resources. Can you think of ways to use those assets to make the browsing experience faster or to introduce previously impossible features?”"

In the future, you might not even need a local processor to do stuff...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »

Sounds like a death knell to hacker culture* and the broader Do It Yourself mentality.  No processor?  No local storage?  Cloud Computing is taken all of your information, all of your flexibility, all of your freedom and placing it in the paws of huge companies whose sole purpose is to make money.  Think about how vulnerable our computing infrastructure will be if no one has a hard copy of anything.  If the network goes down, you cannot access anything.  So many things wrong with this...if I had the energy for an effort post I could give you a wall of text.

*As in hacking together programs, not necessarily the malicious face painted onto computer nerds by the media.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »

It's definitely disturbing. When you combine it with all the data Apple, Facebook, Google, etc. have on you, and how much of life is migrating online, it's completely unprecedented how much information about humans is being centralized within a few massive entities that are no doubt cooperating / would cooperate with the government.

Ironic that originally the PC revolution was supposed to be all about empowering individuals (Apple's "1984" ad?) and now it's completely turned on its head.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies